Off to Homer


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
August 24th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, Jacqui was up at 5:30 a.m. today (when will she make the switch to Alaska time! #*&%?!) Then 4 and a half hours later (but still morning), Danielle, Gabbi and Jacqui met up with some homeschoolers at a park in Anchorage. We think that they might be some religious homeschoolers, but they were really nice and gave us lots of good ideas of what to do and see while in town. After work, Danielle, Gabbi, and Jacqui picked me up and we headed down the Seward Highway, because what would we rather do 3 days after landing in Anchorage, but travel 220 miles through mountain passes to the extreme southwest coast of the Kenai peninsula. On our way out of town along Turnagain Arm of the Cook Inlet, there were a number of cars pulled off of the road and people looking out into the water. We quickly pulled over and were treated to an unknown number of Beluga whales passing by. One even waved its tail at us. We continued on our way and quickly saw some incredible views of the Kenai mountains to the south. After about 150 miles of no development, a gas station or two, fishing lodges, and breathtaking scenery, out of nowhere pops up the town of Soldotna with stop lights, Fred Meyers, and fast food. Another hour and a half and we made it to R&R Bed and breakfast, a lovely one bedroom apartment over a garage. We quickly unloaded our stuff and drove down to the Homer Spit. We were expecting a quaint fishing village and it was definitely a fishing village. We found a strip of water taxis, fishing charters, tiny restaurants, and gift shops that was not really quaint, but definitely a fishing village. We walked the beach and saw Sea otters swimming about a hundred feet off shore and lots of bullwhip kelp.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb