Homer to Seward


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
August 19th 2018
Published: August 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Anchorage to Seward


Seward, AK. It's still raining. From Homer took a boat ride to Solvania, think Catalina (as someplace to go) and very rustic (swimming loses it appeal at 59 degrees). Off to Seward, the town was wiped out in a 1964 tusanmi caused by a 9.2 earthquake, so they moved the business district to higher ground and used the waterfront for an RV park (how's that for prioritization?) The Alaska Sealife Center is Alaska's premier aquarium. Long Beach's aquarium is well known here and they have exchanged seals (to broaden the gene pool). We took a puffin experience - yes it is a live and well behaved puffin in the picture (as long as the presenter kept feeding it fish). The presenters pressed on how changes in climate have been effecting the relocation of birds, fishes and mammals with attendant changes in their survival.

Hiking along two small lakes about one block from Seward, Steph noted the shown fish. They are salmon and turn this red as part of the spawning (and dying) process.

Lastly another day, another boat ride, this around the Kenai peninsula. We saw sea otters, sea lions, humpback whales, orcas, puffins, kittywakes (think gull) and this glacier. The picture (by Stephanie) captures the one mile width and 500' height. While we're touring Kiowa is having a new experience - baby sitters. So far so good, but we have a Gibi locator on her in case she makes a break for it. (Doubtful - she wouldn't leave Stephanie.)

We have a tire problem with the tow car and will spend the next day or two fixing it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb