Ferry to Haines, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Haines
July 15th 2007
Published: July 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Black Bear BanditBlack Bear BanditBlack Bear Bandit

This photo was captured as the bear ran from a backyard and across the hwy with a trash bag.
Sunday July 15, 2007 We had to get up early to get the 8:00 am ferry to Haines; supposed to be there 2 hours before departure time. The early morning was clear with blue sky and a promise of sunshine. On the way to the ferry (15 minute trip) we saw a black bear coming out of a backyard dragging a large garbage bag. He was leaving a trail of litter as he made for the woods. I fumbled for the camera and got one shaky photo before he disappeared.
By the time we arrived at the ferry terminal the blue sky was gone and fog had settled in. The ferry left on time and there was a lot less confusion and waiting than for the Prince Rupert ferry. The Fairweather is a double hulled catamaran (can’t tell by looking at it). The ride was smooth and fast (40 miles/hr). It holds 35 vehicles and 250 passengers. The passenger area had lots of windows and seats similar to an airplane, but there was more leg room. Some seats had tables. It was very comfortable. We made our way up the Lynne Canal. The water was calm and the shore was lined with snow capped mountains veiled in fog. They looked like they were floating above the water. The closer to Haines we got most of the fog lifted and the sun came out. The trip took 2 hours and 15 minutes.
We decided to stay at a state campground that is very popular with fishermen. When the salmon are running bears like it too! We hoped to see some bears, but the salmon have just started running. On the way to the park we did see a grizzly. They frequent a braided area in the Chilkoot River when the salmon are running and that’s where we saw it. It wasn’t fishing. In fact, it acted like it was injured. We watched about 15 minutes then went on to the campground.
After stopping at the Visitor’s center in the afternoon, we decided to take a hike since the sun was shining (never know how long that will last). We climbed Mt. Riley (about 1700 ft.) and took in some beautiful 360 degree views of Haines. Haines is surrounded by Mountains and several big rivers and waterways. It is known for the bald eagles that frequent the area, especially in Nov. when spawning salmon die in huge numbers. We’ve seen eagles here, but not an unusual number. After the 5.5 mile hike we were ready for dinner and a quiet evening in the Cozy Turtle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb