Taking the New RV home to Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
February 15th 2017
Published: February 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

vintage signvintage signvintage sign

Came across this sign, wonder how much it is worth.
May 2016, we head back to Davenport to retrieve the RV and take it north to Alaska. After loading food and filling the water tank, we headed South to Corvallis OR to visit with our oldest son and his children. The weather was a bit warmer than we would have liked (85-90f), but we managed to make good time down the Columbia River via 90 south and 84 west. The skies were beautiful and the views even better, traffic was good and the wind was to our favor. We stopped from time to time for a rest and to clean the bugs off the windshield, which was more than Bob would have liked.

Stopping in the Dalles to fuel up and laugh at the service attendant struggle with cleaning the windshield on a class A. Without a ladder, it was a chore because of the shape of the glass. We passed by the Multnomah Falls but we have marked it for a return visit this Summer (2017) It has been a very long time since Bob has been there and I haven’t. Pictures make it look worthy of spending a little time there Maybe have something to eat at the lodge.

Portland traffic YUK…. The temps in the 90’s and bumper to bumper, sure glad when we hit I 5 south and got away from that place. Pulled into the Corvallis and picked up the family, Bob was overheating, so we headed to the coast on highway 20 to New Port Or. The drive through the Siuslaw National Forest was beautiful, a little narrow at times but very do-able in a big rig. We grabbed some fuel and fed everyone at the Thai Elephant Restaurant which was quiet, clean and the food was good. Friendly staff made us feel very welcome, even though the 6 of us were starving and all the orders were not identical. After lunch, we took up the road again heading south on 101 toward Florence and on to Coos-Bay. We spent the night in a nice campground near the beach, Tillicum Beach campground is a state campground with host and it has paved back in sites with limited services and no dump station. So if your travels take to this wonderful beach, be aware of what it offers to the RVer.

Upon arrival in Coos Bay, we parked at the visitor center and walked over to the docks where two Tall Ships were in port. They make the annual trip from Frisco to Seattle for the Tourist season. The kids loved it and our grandson Phoenix had a great picture taken at the helm of the Hawaiian Chieftain. The local paper had a reporter there and he was featured in an article, the whole thing was never really planned. But as it turns out, we later saw a picture of Bob’s Cousin Ronnie at the helm of the same ship years before, it was a “no way” moment until we saw the picture on the wall. Then it was lunch at Abby’s Pizza, everyone filled up and leftovers were taken on board the “DreamCatcher” for snacking on later.

A good night's rest at Tugman State Park, we back tracked our trail north to Corvallis again and pulled into Corvallis KOA while we finished visiting family. The grounds are located between Corvallis and I-5 on Hwy 34. A nice pool and play area for kids, put-put golf, pet area and trail with a small store and gift shop at the check in office. Sites were clean and level with most being pull through and up to full services available. They did have propane available, a dumpster for patrons and the staff was helpful. Far enough off the highway so traffic noise was very low. Though we had an issue with the fridge so we venture down to Country Coach Rv center in Junction City Oregon. Wow were we impressed, told them what we thought the problem was and they were on it in minutes. The shop Foreman and another service tech were digging into compartments, chasing wires and getting electrical details from the Winnebago factory. Problem was simple fix and we were on the road for Davenport for our long leg North to Alaska.

After a few days with Bob’s Cousin, a little fishing and loading up with groceries, we headed out early, east to Spokane then to Coeur d'Alene Idaho, then north to the border at Kingsgate. It is a back country crossing that is not heavily used, which meant we did not have to wait in line and we were able to roll on after just a few minutes. Be very mindful of the road, deer tend to cross here and the forest is close to the road. And for those who have not traveled to Canada before, check into the “Distracted Driving law” in this beautiful land. RCMPs are not shy about giving tickets out to tourist, drivers handling a cell phone while driving, could have a bad day. Let you navigator handle the calls and text messages. And tell the kids to sit down and shut up, hope it works for you better than it does us. We meant to stop in Radium Hot Springs for the night, taking BC 95, but we made better time than we had planned. So we jumped onto BC 93 (Kootena Highway) and through the narrow gap where we entered Kootenay National Park . HAVE THAT CAMERA READY navigator, it seemed like every corner there were bears feeding. We saw black bears, browns, cinnamon and Grizzlies, mother and cubs. So drivers need to be aware, pay close attention and drive accordingly.

We found a nice pullout in the first valley that gave us a large paved area next to the river about 23 km into the park. Pulled in and parked for a bit of food and watched geese on the river bank. Feeling refreshed, we got back on the road, you will see tall fences along the highway. These fences do a great job of keeping the wildlife off the pavement and we spotted a lot of wildlife; from Kootenay National Park BC into Banff National Park Alberta. It offers more majestic views and various weather conditions, but the great photo opportunities if you're paying attention. We made it as far as the town of Banff, where we spent the night in a campground off tunnel mountain road. Government run, where we stayed was almost empty of campers. Though there were no services at the sites in this section, the peace and quiet was needed. The gate agent advised we be mindful of bears in the area, so we cooked indoors and watched a movie.

After breakfast, we headed east on Trans Canada highway 1 for Calgary and then north on 201. After a quick fuel stop, we headed north on Hwy 2 for Edmonton. Our plans included a stop at the Edmonton Mall where if you have never been there, it is immense and has something for all. Check it out if you get the chance. We found that on the north side of the mall, there is parking for RVs and Busses, so it is just a short walk across to one of the many entrances. Be sure to keep the children away from the amusement park and the water park sections or your stay will go on for days. But if you find yourself strapped into a roller coaster or floating in the giant wave pool, there are some really nice RV parks to the west a few miles out. Glowing Embers RV Park is just off 16A in Archeson and we had no complaints.

We picked our way northwest to Whitecourt, Grand Prairie and on to Dawson Creek where we topped off the tank, grabbed some chow and began our trip up the Al-Can highway back to Alaska. We were a little surprised by a controlled burn that appeared to get out of control near the highway and we were glad to get past that section. Highway is easy traveling for the most part, get a copy of “Milepost” if you are a new traveler on this highway. Fuel stops and services can be far apart and seasonal, we passed through in mid May and found traffic was low but most services were available. One of our preferred parks in Ft. Nelson is “3 G’s RV Park. Great people, good food and a nice gift shop. The staff led us right to our pull through and advised us on where RV wash station, propane and dump stations were. We have been there several times, always happy with this place.

Laird Hot Springs is a must if you have the time to enjoy the oasis of a campground. Just after crossing the river, you will see the park entrance on the right (north side) of the road. Watch for Buffalo during the spring, they transit this area and like to walk the roads grazing and rolling in dust piles along the roadside. The camp is graveled with some pull through and back in sites. No services available at the sites but there is water and dump station near the entrance. The springs are accessible via a boardwalk that is well maintained and will accommodate a wheel chair but powered transport is prohibited. At the end of the boardwalk, you will find changing facilities and a large natural pool. It is recommended you enter near the small dam and work your way up stream
nice day in the sandnice day in the sandnice day in the sand

On a beach near Winchester Oregon
as it will be increasing in temperature as you make your slow progression from bench to bench. Temperatures range from 107f to 125f and this second largest hot spring in Canada is open year round, though you will have to snow shoe to the springs during the snowy months. Not for us…

Toad river lodge has fuel and a nice little restaurant, there is limited RV parking here but we were able to find refuge in a mom & pop operation along the highway. You will find a tourist photo op in Watson Lake, A large section in town that is dedicated to road signs, license plates, hub caps and more. It is worth taking a few minutes to check it out and add it to the scrap book. And Whitehorse offers all the needs for the traveler in the far north. We have stayed at the Hi Country RV Park and were pleased with the services and conditions. There are a number of restaurants and stores in the area, so if you are towing a car, use it. Haines Junction provides several choices on fuel and is a jump off point for the Alaskan coastal community of Haines. We haven’t been there yet, but have had reports that the drive is worth it for the views.

When arriving in the Kluane Lake area, watch for goats and frost heaves. We found it to be worse in summer than it is in the spring. Getting airborne in a RV is no fun whatsoever and I do not recommend it. You may find herds of Buffalo moving through the area as it is a migration trail for the beasties. On this trip up, we found the highway being reconditioned between Haines Junction and Beaver. We experienced a ruff shaking on the wide but wash board gravel road. The road does improve near the border and getting through customs was no problem for us. Alaska has few highways and is a very large state. If you travel here for mining, fishing camping and sight seeing, you will not be let down as it has plenty to offer. Stop in Tok Alaska at Fast Freddie’s for a great meal and check out the local RV parks. It will give you a rest stop before you move on and cities are very far apart so plan accordingly, whether going to Chicken for gold mining or visiting Chena Hot Springs outside of Fairbanks. Plan on spending some time behind the wheel, stop and take breaks, get out and stretch a bit and remember our motto up here. “Off the pavement, into the food chain”. Be aware of your surroundings when walking trails, keep pets on a short leash. Eagles have been known to favor small dogs and cats.



Hope this helps someone, enjoy the pictures and make your own adventures.







Bob & Julie


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 30


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb