Anchorage and Prince William Sound


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
July 18th 2013
Published: July 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Spent 3 days in and around Anchorage. What an interesting place. On Good Friday in 1964 a 9.2 on the Richter scale earthquake hit downtown Anchorage basically leaving it in ruins. We spent the first day looking around and spending some time in Cook inlet. When the tide goes out here there are mud flats that act like quicksand, so no going out on them. On Tuesday we spent the day at Whittier a small town south of Anchorage on the Seward highway.

To get there you have to travel through the mountain via a tunnel that both vehicles and the train use. The tunnel is 2.5 miles long and traffic alternates. In bound to Whittier is on the half hour and inbound is on the hour starting at 5:30 in the morning and going until 11 p.m. Trains take precedence over all traffic and you must wait for the smoke from the diesel engine to clear before you are allowed through. It is very dark and cold in there.

We arrived in time to wonder around the town and then we took a cruise to see 26 glaciers - including some glacier calving. What a sight to see. We also saw many sea otters -what interesting creatures. Some stellar sea lions and some seals. A beautiful sunny day - which we are told does not happen very often.

Wednesday is was our last day here and spent some time downtown learning more about this coastal town. So off the IHOP for breakfast in the morning and then off to somewhere between here and Tok, AK.

So probably no internet for a couple of days and our hope is to be in Whitehorse by Saturday.

Enjoy the pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb