Maria and the .44 Magnum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
May 3rd 2006
Published: May 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Forest Ranger MariaForest Ranger MariaForest Ranger Maria

Here you see where the busy little beavers have . . . .
May 3

Maria and the .44 Magnum

In previous years when Scott and I have hiked, camped or fished in brown bear country, we have been ill prepared to protect ourselves if a bear encounter, of which we have had several, turned nasty. In short, the bear would win and dine well. The first time I read about Timothy Treadwell and his continuing forays into the midst of grizzly congregations, I predicted that it would not be long before we read about his being killed and eaten. In Alaska, humans are near the top of the food chain, but by no means are we a match for a grizzly bear.

On those previous trips, we carried bear spray, a large can of pepper spray, relying on that and luck. In preparation for this and future trips, I researched what would be the best way to maximize survival odds in a bear encounter of the attacking sort. The .50 caliber handgun is the most likely to stop a bear with the least number of hits. But it is so heavy, that a back packer hiking and camping is likely to decide after a few trips that the weight isn’t worth the effort. What I decided on was a S&W .44 Magnum model 646 PD.

Since Canada doesn’t permit handguns to be transported through from the Lower 48 to Alaska, I put a deposit on one in Alaska in March, arranging to pick it up in May. The seller delivered it yesterday. Today we visited the Rabbit Creek Rifle Range to get some practice firing it.

The revolver, made of scandium, magnesium and aluminum, weighs 26 oz. With a full magnum load of 300 0r 320 grains, the recoil is said to be vicious. Painful for the shooter to use. From what I had read on the internet, which Maria and Scott read also, buying some lower power rounds for practice was the way to go. At the range with 20 rounds of 200grain ammunition and another box of 320 grain bear-stopping ammo, we reviewed procedures and set up our targets.

I loaded up three 200’s and one 320 for both Scott and me, and four 200’s for Maria. The full magnum load does hurt to shoot. The kick is tremendous. If I never have the need to fire them in the wilderness, I will be happy. The best insurance is that which you never use.

But back to “Maria and the .44 Magnum.” She loved shooting it. Just like the 30 caliber rifle shots she enjoyed putting into the bull’s-eye in Kentucky. When she fired single action, the higher trigger pressure pulled her off target. With cocking, aiming and firing she was consistent. And she loved it. She wanted me to get another box of 200 grain ammo and keep shooting and getting better. What a competitive person she is! Now she says she wants to fire the high powered load also. And she wants me to bring the rifles from Kentucky to Alaska.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb