Palmer and Anchorage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
August 9th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chocolate FountainChocolate FountainChocolate Fountain

Wildberry Center

Palmer


This was an area that during the depression and the dustbowl era became an experiment to see if it could be farmed. Families were selected from northern areas of Michigan, Minnesota, etc and brought to this area. There are some gigantic vegetables that grow in this area. In the campground where we stayed there was a demonstration garden with raised beds. The moose and her two calves enjoyed the large cabbages that were reaching a nice size. It was at a much better height than reaching all the way down to the ground.

Musk Ox Farm


We had heard about this place from my cousin Sharron, and had to check it out for ourselves. It was interesting to see these animals and to feel how soft the items were that were made from Qivuit (their undercoat). They are not in the ox family but are more closely related to goats. I had expected them to be bigger and more social. We were there on a 70ish degree day and our guide was complaining about the heat and I expect the animals were in agreement. They grow an undercoat that is eight times warmer than wool and supposedly not
Palmer gardenPalmer gardenPalmer garden

Lot's of daylight results in tall/big plants.
itchy. It is combed out in the late spring. When enough is collected, it is sent out to be washed and spun into yarn. There is a cooperative that then hand knit’s the yarn into the products. They are natives and each area has their own distinctive pattern. It is a way to supplement their subsistence lifestyle. The knitting is good quality and it was done with a fine/thin yarn. To buy a small skein of yarn cost over $80 dollars, so you can imagine how much a hat or sweater costs. The products are priced fairly for the quality and amount of time to produce handmade items.


Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine


Fascinating to walk around and view the old buildings.


Anchorage


This is the biggest city we’ve been in for quite a while. It’s been a while since we’ve seen a stop light or a multi-lane highway. In Valdez there was a flashing light at one intersection, but that’s about all I can recall.

We went to dinner one night at Benihana and I used my Christmas gift card from Bob and Roseleen. It was a fun meal and we even had leftovers to bring home. Any time I can have a good meal and not cook is a bonus day!

World Eskimo Indian Olympics


It’s annually held in Fairbanks, but this year it is was held in Anchorage. We went to the events one evening, that we thought would be interesting to watch. I wanted to avoid the seal skinning event, which was Friday night. We saw the one-foot high kick and saw a kick that tied the record at 106 inches. There was some dancing to begin the evening. Also there was a demonstration of the men’s blanket toss. We left before the ear pull contest as we both are easily tired with having colds.

Harry Potter


Yep, we were part of the Friday night crowd at Barnes & Noble. It was fun to see people dressed up as various characters. I like my nephew’s idea of going as a muggle, which we also did. Our colds were well timed, as with lower energy it was a good time to read the new book.

July 23, 2007 posted Aug. 9th


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hobo JimHobo Jim
Hobo Jim

We saw his performance at The Wildberry Theater. He writes and sings songs about Alaska. His performance involves audience participation and we had a fun time.


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb