Anchorage, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
August 6th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Flat Top Mountain ViewFlat Top Mountain ViewFlat Top Mountain View

You can see all of Anchorage, Turnagain Arm (Inlet) and the Alaska Range. It was great to have a clear day.
Monday August 6, 2007 This morning the sun was out and the first thing we had to do was get our wheel alignment checked. We have driven 6750 miles since June 14th! We had an 8:00 am appointment. We left there around 10:45 am with two new front tires and since the sun was STILL shining we decided to hike Flat Top mountain. Flat top is THE mountain to hike in Anchorage. It’s the most popular hike in the area; a mile and a half steep rocky trail that ascends 1700 feet. At the top there is a 360 view of the city, the mountains and Cook Inlet.
We started to the top about 11:30 am and it wasn’t too crowded. The first part of the trail was steep, but the path was wide. The second part of the trail had lots of steep stairs and some rocky narrow places you had to maneuver. The third part was steeper rockier and more narrow with no stairs. In order to make it to the top you had to navigate rocks without a path. I got to the third level then called it quits. The height was bothering me. The mountain is above tree line so everything is very wide open. Frank continued.
The sun was warm (in the 60’s) and the view was great so I didn’t mind the wait for Frank. It was a beautiful day. You really enjoy sunshine when you don’t see it much. I would say that Anchorage residents are serious when it comes to hiking. I watched parents with their young kids (5 yr and younger) and dogs tackle the last steep rocky climb and I just shook my head. I guess it’s a mind set. (Some of the little kids were enthusiastic and some weren’t)
We headed south out of Anchorage around 4:00 pm. The Seward Hwy is the only road that goes south to the Kenai Peninsula. There is one good sized town on the east side and one on the west side. This is where the MAJOR fishing takes place. Our plan is to spend a week or 10 days on the Peninsula.
We got about 25 miles outside of Anchorage and stopped for the night at a gold mine that lets RV’s camp in the parking lot. Frank was disappointed it was closed when we got here, but we’ll be here when it
Flat Top MountainFlat Top MountainFlat Top Mountain

Frank Made It to the Top
opens in the morning. The rain started again outside of Anchorage.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Looking UpLooking Up
Looking Up

The tiny specs are climbers going the last hundred feet.
Turnagain ArmTurnagain Arm
Turnagain Arm

This inlet goes up to Anchorage from the south.


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 99; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb