Mexico - Yucatan/Maya Riviera


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán
August 21st 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived in Playa del Carmen in sweltering heat - it has been up to 40 deg the whole time we've been here and the only breeze we've felt is down by the beach. The beach here is gorgeous - soft sand and turquoise sea. In addition our hotel is just perfect - great room and pool and its just off the beach and strip.

The daily treat for us has been at lunch where we've found a tasty cafe which does MASSIVE 1l, thick mango smoothies for just 25 pesos a pop - yum!

Due to the heat and our combined laziness most days this week have consisted of strolls in the sunshine, lazing on the beach reading books followed by tasty meals/cocktails and perhaps a game of cards in the evening.

On Tuesday we headed up to some Maya ruins. Firstly Tulum which is one of the only Mayan sites on the coastline. The Mayan folk must have been tiny as even i wouldn't have fitted through one of their doorways! However they has vast mathematical knowledge and were excellent timekeepers (apparently their calender is still the second most accurate used today). The Mayans were also very religious and human scacrifies would take place....

After Tulum we headed to Coba which is one of the largest Maya sites. After treking a few km's through the jungle we arrived at one of the largest mayan pyramids which we were allowed to climb. (This was a fair climb up, and yes thighs still hurting today).

We've seen a fair amount of wildlife in Mexico over the last week. Most surprisingly was a crocodile in the lake next to where we were eating lunch one day. It was only a metre or two away from us and I have to admit we were both a bit scared as it eyed us up (I swear it licked its lips at one point). However, crocodile was more lazy than we were and proceeded to fall asleep - phew. Also we have seen spider monkeys, a few bats, loads of lizards and fish too.

Playa has been a real treat for us both and put us in a chilled out holiday mood 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb