Chichén Itzá


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
April 18th 2004
Published: September 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Chichén Itzá was one of the most crowded Mayan sites we visited. Apparently many tourists in the surrounding of Cancun want to "explore some culture" by visiting the site... Our local guide guide was referring to the fact that some of them even pronounce it "chicken pizza". I cannot confirm if this is true, but this is in fact the first thing on my mind when I think of Chichén Itzá, funny...

The most impressive thing here is "El Castillo", aka the Pyramid of Kukulcán. At the vernal and autumnal equinoxes, the morning and afternoon sun produces an illusion of a snake ascending aor descending the side of its staircase.

El Castillo in fact is a temple built upon another temple. You can enter the temple through an narrow stairway. Inside you can admire a jaguar throne. Not recommended if you suffer from claustrophobia.

Here you can also find other things like the largest and most impressive great ball court of Mexico, named Gran Juego de Pelota, but also a Platform of Skulls (Plataforma de los Cráneos).

Besides that you can visit the Sacred Cenote (Cenote Sagrada). We also went into a cave where we could swim.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb