The Great Chichen Itza


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
October 15th 2009
Published: August 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After 3 years in Canada, we decided to kick off our travelling plans and headed to Mexico. Although the better half and I had our small share of travelling in Asia and growing up in the Philippines; a country colonized by the spanish for 3 centuries. Mexico for us was a way of not just seeing the beauty of Chichen Itza but learn how pre-historic civilizations existed and also compare some similarities of our culture from theirs (having been in spanish rule for a period of time).

Among suggestions from friends; we stayed in an All-Inclusive place in the Akumal area (around 30 mins away from Playa del Carmen). With its prestine beaches and allure. We understood why the Altantic part draws in big crowds. Day 3 of our stay was our long commute to Chichen Itza. We were blessed enough to arrange lodistics to the wonderful staff of AGI Tours. And our guide Daniel was such a character. Since we grew up in a tropical climate; we constantly crave for some coconut juice. What we didn't know was that its common in Mexico to combine coconut with some chili; which was weird at the first but I ended up eating 3 coconuts with that mix (tasty).

Chichen Itza by itself was just spectacular; after learning more that each side/major contruction during the Mayan periodwas only done every 52 years. You end up thinking how long did it actually take to build this structure. Although most of the city was destroyed during colonial times; it was good to know that every amount of effort and money being spent through restoration efforts was just well worth it.

Another memorable encounter was a chance to get some grub at a local eatery were hand made corn tortillas was made. The icing on the cake was this young Mayan lady; while she was doing her thing (making tortillas) and we were at an awe that they still manage to preserve their culture (how her ancestors did it centuries back). She was conversing to one of the folks in "Maya language" as she never knew how to speak Spanish. We were struck that how fortunate we were to get a glimpse of this almost dying culture before it goes extinct.

I guess that's what travelling is all about; getting out of your comfort zone and see the worlds wonders in front
Hand made tortillasHand made tortillasHand made tortillas

The mayan way
of you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb