Mexico Dec 2008 Day 9: Chichén Itzá


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
December 20th 2008
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post


Additional maps: Chichen Itza - Valledolid

Chichen-ItzaChichen-ItzaChichen-Itza

Viewed from the BallCourt.


This was supposed to be our beach day. Woke up a bit sore after the accident, debated for a while but finally decided to go to Chichen Itza. Round two was successful. We walked around for about 5 hrs marvelling at one of the new seven Wonders of the World.

Significant ruins are the 'El Castillo' or main pyramid, the Ball Court, The Temple of Warriors, The Temple of a Thousand Columns, the Market place, La Iglesia (the Church), El Caracol (the Observatory).

El Castillo is huge and very impressive. You can stand at the bottom at a certain spot and clap and you hear a loud return echo. At the foot of the stairs on either side, there is a serpent head. Apparently, on the equinox, the pyramid casts a shadow so that it looks like an undulating serpent body is descending from the top.

The Ball Court is the largest example of a Mayan Ball Court. The stone walls have relief depicting the ballgame which was played by hitting the ball with only the waist in many areas or with a racket. The losing team lost their lives (some accounts say it was the winning
Drive to Chichen ItzaDrive to Chichen ItzaDrive to Chichen Itza

The toll road is pretty good and easy to drive on.
team as it was an honor to die). Very close by the ball court is the Skull Rack and also the Jaguar Temple and Eagle Temple. All have relief on the walls, though not in very good state.

We walked to the 'Sacred Cenote' next. This large Cenote by the side was used for sacrifices and skulls were found here. The Temple of Warriors has the 'Chac-mool' at the top, which is a symbol of Chichen Itza. I suppose we were lucky, because the ruins were not too crowded at the time when we went, so we were able to walk about in serenity.

On the way back, we stopped at a Dzitnup Cenote (underground cavern with freshwater) near the town of Valledolid where you are allowed to swim. We had read about it being one of the best cenotes, so although it was getting dark, we made the stop at about 4.30PM and had about half an hour. I highly recommend this detour.

The cenote is beautiful, with a small natural skylight at the top from which tree roots descend, with one huge limestone 'waterfall'. Looks like a frozen waterfall; formed over centuries. The water has fish in it, there are chirping bats in the ceiling. You have to almost crawl through a crack in the ground and go down a few steps about two meters to enter this huge cavern with giant stalagtites about 20 feet long descending from the ceiling to the water surface. Were able to swim in the water which is extremely clear.

By the time we left, it was getting dark. Tried following signs and got lost for a bit in the town of Valledolid, a colonial town nearby which we had hoped to visit during the day. Took us a while to get back on track and finally ended up getting on the non-toll road to Cancun, which is slower and has a lot of 'topes'/ speedbumps, some unmarked. The toll way costs $25 one-way, which we would've been glad to get on, but could not find. Anyway, reached back safely and happy to have seen Chichén Itzá.

Ate dinner at 'Mexxtreme' a nice Mexican place with mariachis playing. Had a yard mango margarita, very good and returned to the hotel. Mango margaritas seem to be good everywhere!


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Ball CourtBall Court
Ball Court

This is one side. You can see the hoop in the background
Ball courtBall court
Ball court

There are carvings along the length. You can see the hoop. The game was played here with a racquet.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb