Taco's in Tampico, Waterfalls in Hausteca, Marriages in Monterrey - and everything in between!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Tamaulipas » Tampico
March 5th 2015
Published: April 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

When the invitation to Hector (our Hector's namesake) and Melissa's wedding came it was an easy decision to say yes we're coming! We met Hector in Nepal about 8 years ago and this was the perfect excuse to go and visit. The trip was unforgettable and for that we say a huge thank you to Hector and his family and friends for making us feel so welcome and really laying on the red carpet treatment!



The practicalities of getting to Tampico are a little challenging - 27 hours journey time, 3 flights and fortunately only one melt down - (Heidi in Mexican customs as she didn't press the button in the elevator)! Actually, the kids were pretty good on the flights, and we arrived fairly fresh to our first hotel in Tampico - with Hector checking in that we were safe and sound.



Our first morning was just chilling - we visited the local shopping centre to stock up on essentials - nail clippers and a bow tie! After which Hector told us to go and wait at the country club while he travelled back from Monterrey. The weather was warm, but not sunny - however there was a pool so in true Brit style we jumped in. The locals were looking on in amazement - and suffice to say we were the only ones in there and not for very long.



Hectors parents then arrived to say hello, Big big Hector and Macamy - such lovely people who just popped in to see if we needed anything. Hector arrived shortly after and it was a great reunion! We then went on a tour of "his" town. He had always joked in Nepal that Tampico was his town - but it really is! We drove to the beach which was stunning - it is still winter out there so pretty deserted, but we managed to get a quick coconut in before heading back to his "wings and wheels" restaurant for supper. Hector is a real entrepreneur and his restaurant is a really fun place to eat - there are two in his empire and it's bound to grow!



We were staying our second night with Hector at his parents house. In Mexico, until you are married you tend to stay at home. I think in Hector's case it is because his Mother is such a gem and looks after him far too well! We didn't get back until quite late so quickly to bed and woke up to the most amazing breakfast the next morning! Taco's, beans, cereal, toast, coffee, fruit, chilli sauces, nuts, more fruit, - I think there were even some pancakes! (No wonder Hector still lives there)!



The rest of the morning was spent getting ready for our road trip into the country - planning initially to go to Hectors sugar farm and then some other sights. A slight complication meant we couldn't go to the farm (Hector is also a sugar cane farmer), but there was plenty of other fun stuff to do in the meantime.



Our first destination was Xilitla - recently designated a Magic town of Mexico. Stopping en route for a delicious lunch and arriving at our hotel just before dusk..... We were staying in a pretty cool hotel - Posada el Castillo. It reminded us of some of the hill towns in India, and was very quaint! Our room was huge - and PINK! There was a disco room on the top floor and a lovely lounge to relax in. We were still full from lunch so wandered the streets and main square and ended up have a few drinks before a relatively early night.



Early up the following morning we headed to Las Pozas - a surrealist labyrinth amongst waterfalls and ponds which is akin to Dali's inspirational surrealist work, who was a great friend of Edward James. It is the result of a life's work of an eccentric English chap called Edward James - a fun day out and in true Mexican style there are no rules!!!! Some pretty hairy waterfall climbing ensued - our Go Pro captured the extreme shots!



Back to Xilitla for lunch and Ice Cream and a mooch around the market - all the locals from the surrounding villages were there drinking and dancing as is tradition on a Sunday!



The next stop was Cuidad Valles - a farming town and our base for a couple of nights while we visited caves and waterfalls! En route we stopped at the world famous "cenote golondrinas" - Cave of Swallows. Some 300 metres deep - the spectacle is at sunset when thousands of swallows and parrots return to their nests - circling above the hole and then nose diving in at speeds so fast it sounds like bullets re flying past your heads! It takes an hour or so for them all to get in and you get a sore neck from watching. Those brave enough can rope up and hang over the edge - Heidi was first in the queue to be tied to a flimsy piece of string to hang over the edge, it cost a few pesos so we were sure it was safe!



La Hausteca is a stunning region with mountains, rivers, and subsequently many waterfalls - the jewel in the crown is Tamul. We hired a boat (and two paddlers) to go 7km or so upstream - the only way to get up close. Heidi loved paddling along too - and Hector just dragged his hands in the water. Half way there we stopped to swim in a cave - absolutely amazing! A fresh water spring creates the pool and we had it completely to ourselves...... Hector in his rubber ring and Heidi with arms bands - no fear.



We were against the sunlight so headed back to the boat and onwards up river.... round a few more bends, negotiating some rapids (and cows) and the we arrived - beautiful - and we were completely on our own. Hector and Sally swam/floated much of the way back downstream and we got back to the car just before dark..... a fantastic day out!



A slow start the next day before driving back to Tampico and spending our last day chilling by the pool at the posada de tampico - conveniently owned by one of Hectors relations!



The next three days couldn't have been more different! The first thing was the weather - a cool 5 degrees in Monterrey - we were literally wearing everything we had packed!



I was lucky enough to play a round of golf with Hector and his friends - in a proper tournament! I was in no danger of winning anything though - scoring 120, in spite of 4 pars and a birdie! Perhaps the tequilas at the turn didn't help???

Sally spent the day at a fantastic steel museum and at the hotel. The day of the wedding we went to Kidzania - a brilliant kids playground where they can be adults! Heidi worked in McDonalds, tried her hand as a fireman and an artist, and even worked in a supermarket. Kidzania is coming to London this summer and is well worth a trip - tickets available from Ticketmaster!!!



Hector had organised a babysitter for us for the wedding - which didn't start until 9pm. It was at the Monterrey Cathedral - with the reception afterwards at the Monterrey Casino. It was an amazing evening - close to 600 guests (more waiters than guests at our wedding)! - great food, lots to drink - and dancing until 7am the next morning (a tricky flight to Florida ensued)!



It was a great end to a fantastic week in Mexico - and great to see Hector and Melissa tie the knot...... thanks for having us Hector and we look forward to seeing you and your family again here in the UK - although we will struggle to find caves, waterfalls, and taco's in Harpenden!


Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb