Where in the World are Bob and Maureen???


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sonora » Guaymas
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

February 3, 2007. We continue to learn about this country, most everyone we have met has been kind and helpful . We did take Spanish lessons in Pittsburgh, but learning a new language is tricky. We can ask directions, order food, pay the bill, purchase tickets, exchange pleasantries, etc.; but we are far from being fluent, so we continue to blunder along.
The trip from Bahia Kino to San Carlos/Guaymas is a long one, back to the main road, through Hermisillo, (this time we didn’t get lost) and south on 15. In the congested traffic areas, the driving is a challenge. We arrived at El Mirador RV Park/Hotel and the facilities are lovely. This park was built to US standards and is very clean. However, it caters to caravans making it crowded, and it is located in an isolated area outside San Carlos. So one night here is enough. The wind up on this mountain is whipping so hard we didn’t try the pool or the hot tub.
February 4, 2007.
After driving and parking the Bothan in a shopping mall, LEY’S, we hopped a bus into Guaymas. The town has a natural harbor and the primary industry is fishing. The town plaza commemorates the fact that Three Mexican Presidents came from this town. Santa Fernando is the name of the church where we attend mass. It has seven masses on Sunday, and from what we observed it is very crowded. The poverty is evident everywhere and is sad, but the people seem happy. The main roads are paved but all the side roads are dirt. Mexico is a land of contrasts, very wealthy and very, very poor.
Hotel Playa de Cortes/RV Park is home for the evening. It was built in 1936 as a railroad resort, quiet and comfortable, and right on the beach.
Highway 15 is a good paved highway, but there is no shoulder and no guide rails, so when trucks and buses want to pass it is a bit hairy!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



23rd February 2007

North America
I am enjoying your trips. Thanks for the tour.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb