Playa Del Carmen and Isla Mujeres.....


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Isla Mujeres
November 23rd 2006
Published: January 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Playa Del CarmenPlaya Del CarmenPlaya Del Carmen

at the hotel beach front
It took just 2 hours to reach Playa Del Carmen from Tulum and the mini bus or collectivo as we call it here was a short and comfortable ride.

I had arranged to meet my Mexican friend , Arlette from Durango and spend two days hanging out in Playa Del Carmen. Arlette had a friend who owned a hotel with a beach front and accomodation was complimentary which was great.

Playa Del Carmen is a very touristy location. Nonetheless I found it to be far more pleasant compared to Puerto Vallarta and Cancun ( passed through Cancun on the way to Playa DC)
Everything was organised, clean and looked pretty.
The only thing that you could not run away from were touts engaging you every inch along the walkway trying to sell you something which got a little annoying after awhile.

Anyway, spent the 2 days with Arlette eating and laying by the beach.
It was pretty hot in the day and cool at night which was perfect. Didnt really do much as well as I was feeling a little under the weather and rested a fair bit. Arlette was so hospitable and took great care of me during my stay in Playa DC.

Left Playa Del Carmen and Arlette and headed to the Isla Mujeres the party place which I had heard so much about from others. Isla Mujeres means Island of Women in Spanish....
Anyway, I took a bus from Playa DC to Cancun and then a fast boat to the island which took two hours altogether.

Isla Mujeres was a nice enclave. Altogether 7km distance from one end of the island to the other. Laid back with loads of cafes and nice sandy beaches for the sun seeking traveller.
Checked into Poc Na Hostel and spent the next 3 days just partying the days away.
There was really nothing much to do there apart from eat, sun bathe, swim and party.
Tough isnt it? ha ha ...Yes I am being naughty...

Poc Na Hostel turned out to be a party hostel and judging by the pictures, you would understand why. To Claudia, Dennis, Kristina, Marito, Jessica, Bart, Steve, Amanda and a few others whom I spent most parts with in Isla Mujeres, it was real fun....hope to hear from you guys soon and that we will eventually meet in Amsterdam in June!

I did not take pictures of the beaches as pictures of Tulum was still on my mind. Perhaps it was also because I was kinda dissapointed that Lily and Sam were not able to join me in Isla Mujeres as they had changed their plans at the last minute as most of us do as we travel. They were not just fellow travellers, but two people that I have gotten close to and have had great times with along the way.

One of the best things about travelling is that you get to meet really cool people whom you bond with and embrace as friends almost instantaneously. With a common goal, to soak up, explore and savour the people and its country that we visit. And to share our experiences both good and bad...It gets hard to say good bye but for some I know we will meet again for sure...

I had only made plans to travel up to Isla Mujeres. I did not know what I was going to do thereafter. Many people had raved about Belize and Guatemala being a great destination and I decided to give it a go and visit Belize and
Playa Del CarmenPlaya Del CarmenPlaya Del Carmen

with Arlet from Durango, Mexico
Guatemala which was not in my original plan at all.

And so I left this party island and headed to Cancun and took an early morning bus to Chetumal which would lead me to to Belize...


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

...at the docks
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

with team Switzerland....
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

with team Australia....
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

the indoor bar at Poc Na Hostel... a real party place.
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

with Claudia from Switzerland, Dennis from Amsterdam, Kristina from Germany and Marito from Mexico. After one too many at Hostel Poc Na
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

..this bottle of olive oil was a very interesting phallic looking bottle...
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

dancing the night away at the beach
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

..this is what happens when you drink like a fish....
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

with the guys who were goneeeee...
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

at the hostel with Jessica from Holland
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

..this guy, Steve from UK showed us some awesome card tricks and we both watched the football game between Man U and Chelsea after 2 months of abstainence from football for me...
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

Bart from Holland with Claudia..
Isla MujeresIsla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres

with Team Norway..picture taken in our dorm with cool cubicles of our own..


18th January 2007

drink like a fish :-D
EDGAR!!!! nice to hear from you and nicer to see some pics i don't have yet!!! such great times we had... hope you are doing fine - where are you at the moment??? big hug - the fish.
23rd February 2007

que onda Edgar!
Que tal Edgar como estas cabron? keep partying and spreading good love around!! SUERTE AMIGO

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb