Snorkeling in the Sun and Reading in the Rain . . .


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
October 25th 2009
Published: November 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today another day in Cozumel has rolled around. I wanted to go and see something I hadn’t yet seen there, so I asked Chris if he wanted to go to a beach. In all the many many times I’ve been to Cozumel, I’ve never just gone to a beach!

As we walked off the ship, the sun was shining. We’ve had what’s seemed like endless days of grey, overcast skies and often rain. I commented on the lovely weather and we savoured the sun and knowing we’d have a day out in it. We got in a taxi and headed off to Playa Puntacar, about a ten minute ride from the ship’s pier.

Then the skies opened up and an extreme downpour began! Go figure . . .

We got to the beach and just sat under a roof and read for a good half hour or so until the rain let up. We moved to chairs down by the water, so at least we could say we’d laid out on the beach. Read some more. And then, after almost 2 hours at the beach, the sun came out! It was only in patches, between clouds, but it was a nice change.

Our taxi fare included an hour of snorkel equipment rental, so we got our gear and went out in the water. Chris hadn’t been snorkeling before, so he really enjoyed it. I was just happy to be back in the water! There wasn’t a whole lot of great coral or plants to see, but for being so close to shore there were lots of fish. Most were quite small, even the Sargent Majors (yellow & black striped ones) were really small compared to the ones I see everywhere else. Though there was one really big one, I don’t know what kind, right up by the shore which was a surprise.

Near the end of the hour of snorkeling, the rain started up again. It was a lighter rain and the type where the sun shines at the same time. But it was time to head back to the ship and to work anyway. Regardless of our disappointing weather, it was good to get out and relax for a bit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



3rd November 2009

since when do taxis rent snorkeling equipment? LOVE it!

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 152; dbt: 0.1284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb