Isla Mujeres


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
July 15th 2006
Published: July 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Life here is so relaxed that it´s hard to know what we have been up to since we last wrote. Also this is the first entry that I write alone, having left Henry A at Cancun Airport this moring (which was quite an achievement considering we were still drinking on the roof of our hostel at 5am!) Cancun Airport on a Saturday morning is not a place you want to be hungover in...a drawled shout of “HEY TEX, HURRY UP OR WE´LL MISS OUR FLIGHT” can really grate. Anyway, I managed to book my flight to Cuba... another massive performance - of course you could only get the cheap fare from the office in town and not the desk in the airport...3 hours later of wrong directions I had booked ten days in Cuba (from the 19th to the 29th). Not sure what I´ll do there, but I am really looking forward to it. Although it did make me laugh when both of the Mexican taxi drivers (who I might add were both about 50 and exceptionally seedy!) I told about my trip lit up and started eulogising about Cuban women, with one of them insisting that I should take at least a kilo of Viagra with me so that I could take full advantage!!

Island life has continued to treat us well, with days being spent on the beach, mainly hiding in the shade of a palm tree, swimming, playing cards and trying unsuccessfully to be mature about topless sunbathers...all very English! Even the nights have been relatively relaxed (other than last night when we found a bar that played psy-trance until 4am!), with most nights generally consisting of finding somewhere to eat even more seafood and then finding a bar to have a few beers...

The only real thing of note that we´ve done in the past few days was take a tour to Isla Contoy, a tiny uninhabited island that is home to 150 species of bird, crocodiles, boas etc etc. It had been a toss-up between whether to go to Cancun to experience the wonders of Coco Bongo´s (an “entertainment experience” apparently) and drunkenly abuse Americans or to go and see the island and we were pretty happy as we pulled into a beautiful bay of a literal picture postcard desert island. As you can see from the photos, the bright azure water, white sand and palm trees were all fully in evidence. It was absolutely stunning, made even better by the fact that although there were some other groups there at the beginning, after our lunch of barbequed barracuda (caught on our way out to the island by the captain) we were the only 8 people on the island. As we were swimming in the shallows, a spotted ray came right up to the shore and just swam around for a bit, even getting close enough to let Henry A cop a feel! It doesn´t get much better than that...



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Sunset 2Sunset 2
Sunset 2

And again...although it was pretty stunning so I think it deserves two photos
Us watching the sunsetUs watching the sunset
Us watching the sunset

Strawberry daquiris in hand...perfect. Although we are a little bit red-faced!


20th July 2006

hi hace hope that you are coping on your own and that you are not missing your old mate. it is great to have him home although i cannot quite get used to hime going off to the office in a pinstriped suit .......... the travel blog is just the best idea _+ much better that p.c s look forwasrd to hearing the next one much love the aliens

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb