Un-mexican Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
December 18th 2008
Published: December 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Oh random thing - the first class buses here all have tvs in them that show movies in Spanish. Some we've known like Pirates of the Caribbean 3, others are random weird movies that we've never heard of. So we were surprised to get a movie in English on the way to Cancun. Unfortunately it was an S Club movie! Not S Club 7 cos only 6 of them were in it, I guess the 7th realised how bad the movie was!! Still, we watched it just because it wasn't in Spanish.

So anyway, Cancun is very westerised, didn't feel like you were in Mexico. We caught a ferry and spent the day on Isla Mujeres which was beautiful. White sand beaches, clear blue water and palm trees. We started by getting the bus to the Turtle Farm. When we got off the bus we were told to walk back up along the road the bus had come from and go left so we did. After about 5 mins in the heat we asked a taxi and he said he would take us there. It was less than a minute drive literally around the corner, and would have been a minute from the bus down the other road! So that cost us 25 peso to go round a corner! The Turtle farm was soooooo cool. There were red eared turtles when you first arrived and you could buy food to feed them so I did! And then there were tanks with different turtles in them just swimming around. We went into a building and there were loads of wee baby turtles that were so cute I wanted to take them home! There was a sign saying don't touch so I was dangling my fingers above the water which made them swim over to you. While doing that a lady that worked there came over and picked up one of them and gave it to me to hold. It was smaller than my hand and got quite comfy in my hand and went to sleep. Also got to hold a starfish which didn't do much.

While we were in there I heard 2 girls speak and they were kiwis so chatted to them for a bit. I had my beached as t-shirt on so they recognised that. As we were leaving the turtle farm two guys rode past on bikes and one goes hey she's wearing a beached as top - they're kiwis! So gave them a thumbs up. We then went and got an icecream for lunch and went for a lie on the beach for a bit. I got bored though - beaches aren't as much as a novelty for me as they are for Lorna, so made two sand turtles. The sky then got really dark to one side and it started to pour down. The beach emptied in about a mintute as people ran for the trees. We decided to get the ferry back to Cancun and get ourselves sorted to leave the next day. When we got back the rain had stopped so we took a bus along the Hotel strip which has loads of hotels along it and different shopping plazas with a Bubba Gump Shrimp resteraunt, Hooters, a Chocolate City, Burger Kings etc. Very touristy and expensive so just stayed on the bus and rode it back into town. The next day was our flight to Cuba yay!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



21st December 2008

turtles
I'm surprised that you put your fingers near turtles...after your one latched on! ha that was so funny.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb