Terri and Kate go to Mexico - Day 3


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
September 28th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Chichen Itza 21 secs

Day 3 - Chichen Itza



After such a busy day yesterday we want to do something a bit different so we're off to Chichen Itza. Last year this was designated as one of the new 7 wonders of the world.

We have an nice easy journey though low level jungle bringing us to the ruins of the ancient Mayan city. The buildings have been expertly restored and rise up from the surrounding jungle. They are very impressive and we take tons of photos. The massive Kukulcan temple, which is the most famous building, was the backdrop for a recent Placido Domingo concert due to its brilliant acoustic qualities. The whole complex is very large with many things to see, including the grisly wall of sacrificial skulls and the sacred cenote, also used for human sacrifice.

After buying a few souvenirs and an ice-cream, we’re back on the bus and off to Ik Kil, a really pretty natural pool or “cenote” for a quick dip to cool off. Set in the jungle this is truly what tropical paradise is all about.

Next stop is the Mayan town of Valladolid. The main town square is dominated by an impressive church whilst the buildings on the surrounding streets are painted a rainbow of pastel shades. After the recent Mexican Independance day celebrations, everywhere is hung with flags and decorations.

The weather has really favoured us today and we've had lovely hot sun all day long. We’re back in Cancun by 7 but we’re feeling too tired for anything strenuous this evening so we pop across the road to the La Isla Shopping Mall, where's there's plenty of great shops, and have dinner at Hooters, This is a quieter version of the bar than the big noisy one in the main centre of Cancun so quite relaxing for us. We have brilliant burgers, their famous chicken wings, a few cocktails and we’re done.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb