Chetumal and the lagoon of seven colours


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Bacalar
August 18th 2010
Published: August 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Sharon showing off her kayaking skills 20 secs
We arrived at Chetumal in the wee small hours of the morning and shared a taxi into the town centre with a French girl who was travelling on her own. She had not booked anything and didn’t have any idea where to go, in my opinion she was pretty lucky we were there as no-one else got off the bus and the place was deserted, I must be getting old and sensible 😊. We ended up at a very cheap hotel which had no air con and was a real sweat box to us air conditioned snobs!!! Needless to say, we moved out very early the next morning to a hotel over the road (Hotel Ghandi (400MXN) air con etc).

Chetumal is the capital of Quintana Roo state and our reason for stopping here was to visit the Museo de la Cultura Maya. It turned out to be very informative, offering an insight into the Mayan world and also for some reason free that day, sweet. In the evening we wandered down to the waters edge and sat watching the local families enjoying the sea breeze. Kids of all ages were darting about on electric cars, bikes and jeeps, the wide open square had been transformed into a race track much to their and our delight.

The next day we caught a collectivo to Bacalar (25MXN each) to spend a couple of days relaxing by the lagoon. We spent one night in a lovely little water front house at Casita Carolina (600MXN) but had to move because it was fully booked, we must be getting closer to the tourist area! We relocated just along the water at Hotelito El Paraiso (500MXN) which was just as good but in different ways. Bacalar is a very quiet town on the edge of the Laguna de los Siete Colores (Lagoon of Seven Colours), a massive freshwater lake, which is said to reflect at least seven shades of blue. Not many lagoons in the world contain such amazingly clear turquoise water and have white sandy beaches, it really is breathtaking. We bathed in the cool fresh water, went kayaking a couple of times and Sharon even cooked a meal in our little kitchen, her first bit of cooking in weeks. The weather has been a bit hit and miss, we have seen some spectacular storms and it has rained every day but normally it is hard, heavy and short lived. We left Bacalar by getting a taxi to the main highway (15MXN) and getting a local bus to our next stop, Tulum (110MXN).





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



23rd August 2010

Amazing
Hi, Finally managed to find some time to read your blog. You sound like you are having a wicked time, I have been giggling at your misfortune with your tummy bug - sorry guys! Didn't realise you went into so much detail of your blog, it must take your ages. It will certainly help the Southys when they embark on their world tour! (now that's got you wondering hasn't it...more on that to follow in an email that I promise I will send shortly). Take care of yourselves, look forward to the next instalment. Ali x

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb