World Cup


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Querétaro
June 11th 2006
Published: June 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

¡Viva México!¡Viva México!¡Viva México!

soccer fans in the streets after the game
Later that same weekend...

Meghan and I woke up a bit late and headed to the Centro in a taxi. We were supposed to meet some friends to watch Mexico in the first game of the World Cup, but we couldn´t find them. So, we did the next best thing, walked about and then had a cold cappachino (or, as some of my family members say, cappachin-ee). This was the calm before the storm...

We knew the game was over when more people were suddenly in the streets, all sporting green soccer shirts and bearing Mexican flags. We headed out into the streets along with them. More and more people started coming from virtually nowhere, and cars starting filing around the centro as well (kinda like cruisin´the square in Iola). Color, motion, yelling, chanting, horns beeping to the rhythym of ¨Viva México¨ I was quite taken by the amount of national pride that the people are filled with.

We stuck around for about an hour, watching the parade escalate into a political rally (elections are coming up soon), street dance, and morph back into a parade.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb