Queretaro - in & around Plaza de Armas aka Independence Plaza


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Querétaro » Santiago de Querétaro
September 1st 2015
Published: September 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

State Government Palace (co)State Government Palace (co)State Government Palace (co)

in swapped RGB channels.
This album, the last one in my Queretaro series, features photos taken in & around & near the Plaza de Armas, the city's main square.

Some background info:
Santiago de Querétaro, founded in 1531, is located 221 kms NE of Mexico City. With a population of over 1 million in 2010, it is the largest city and capital of the State of Querétaro. Because of its low crime rate and low unemployment, the city’s standard of living is considered the highest in Mexico & Latin America, although some consider it more expensive to live there. The city is also considered one of the cleanest cities in the world. The historic city center was declared a World Heritage Site by the Unesco in 1996.



Plaza de Armas (aka Independence Square)
is the city’s main square (zocalo) & the heart of the city’s historic center The square is surrounded by splendid colonial buildings, & 18th century casonas & portals. The imposing State Government Palace, formerly the Casa de la Corregidora, is on the north side. Prominently featured in the center of the square is a fountain topped by a statue of the Marquis de la Villa del Villar del
co - aka Casa de la Corregidoraco - aka Casa de la Corregidoraco - aka Casa de la Corregidora

because it was the residence of the Queretaro’s Magistrate (Corregidora) Dona Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez until 1810.
Aguila, benefactor of the city & builder of the aqueduct.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

co - Built in the 18th century, co - Built in the 18th century,
co - Built in the 18th century,

it is the most important historic building on the plaza & considered one of the major symbols of Mexico’s independence.
Casa de EcalaCasa de Ecala
Casa de Ecala

in ultra baroque style was built for a former ruler of the city, Tomas Lopez Ecala. It was completed in 1784 & is located on the west side of the plaza. With its beautiful stone facade, arches, & ornate wrought iron balconies, it’s considered one of the most beautiful in the city .
Palacio de JusticiaPalacio de Justicia
Palacio de Justicia

on the corner of 5 de Mayo & Pasteur.
Municipal Palace (city Hall)Municipal Palace (city Hall)
Municipal Palace (city Hall)

located on Madero next to Guerrero Garden, it has had a long history and many uses. Formerly the spacious Red Eagle Hotel, then the Episcopal Palace & also a warehouse, it was rescued by the state government, restored & transferred to the municipality to be used as the city hall in 1983.
Esperanza Cabrera Theater (ec)Esperanza Cabrera Theater (ec)
Esperanza Cabrera Theater (ec)

located at the corner of Juarez & Pino. This Renaissance-style building opened in 1804 as a primary school & later became Academy & Faculty of Fine Arts.
Portal Quemado (qu)Portal Quemado (qu)
Portal Quemado (qu)

located on Pasteur Street opposite the Plaza de Armas. It was originally the home of Don Timoteo Fernández de Jauregui who was involved in trade disputes? It was burned intentionally in 1864.
Casa de Don Bartolo Casa de Don Bartolo
Casa de Don Bartolo

on Pasteur opposite the Plaza de Armas.
Portal SamaniegoPortal Samaniego
Portal Samaniego

located on a prominent corner of the Plaza de Armas, was built in the 18th century for Juan Antonio del Castillo y Mata, 2nd Earl of the Sierra Gorda. The property also belonged to the counts who took his name. It later belonged to governor Rafael Olvera & to the family Fernández de Cevallos. It is currently occupied by the Archives of the judiciary.
Jardin del ArteJardin del Arte
Jardin del Arte

located on Independencia just a few steps from the Plaza de Armas in what was part of the convent of San Francisco. The garden opened in 1993 & is dedicated to various artistic activities. Apparently, antiques are sold there on weekends?
One side of the plazaOne side of the plaza
One side of the plaza

in swapped RGB channels.
Misc buildings/featuresMisc buildings/features
Misc buildings/features

that caught my attention ;o)



10th September 2015

Love the colonial colours
You know that I love the colonial colours of Mexico. This album is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb