QRO - La Otra Banda - area north of the river


Advertisement
Published: March 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The city of Querétaro is divided in two by the river & joined by the Puente (bridge) de San Sebastián. At one time, the area north of the river, often called La Otra Banda (the other side), was outside city limits. Most of the residents in this area were poor. Barrio San Sebastian was one of those neighborhoods. Casa del Faldon, located at Primavera 45 Ote. I didn’t catch it in a photo but... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

EL RIO (Queretaro River)EL RIO (Queretaro River)
EL RIO (Queretaro River)

bordered by Av Universidad on both sides.
Equestrian monument to Ignacio Pérez ÁlvarezEquestrian monument to Ignacio Pérez Álvarez
Equestrian monument to Ignacio Pérez Álvarez

(1786-1846), the Mexico Independence 'messenger'. The monument is located at the Av Corregidora roundabout & bridge crossing the river.
CloseupCloseup
Closeup

The revolution for Mexican independence from Spain began on the evening of September 15, 1810 when Dona Josefa Dominquez sent her guard, Ignacio Perez, to Dolores on horseback to warn Captain Allende and Father Miguel Hidalgo that the government had discovered their planned revolt. The revolt began the following morning.
San Sebastian parish churchSan Sebastian parish church
San Sebastian parish church

San Sebastian church was built by the Franciscans in 1718. It was originally built as a chapel to serve the indigenous residents of the area. It was the 2nd parish in the city. Construction of the nearby charity Hospital of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, was completed in 1892. It later became a nursing home.


I think this is the house I was supposed to rent but they canceled. I wasn't sorry they did ;o)

Map 1Map 1
Map 1

showing location of the train historic station, Casa del Faldon & Quinta Rio Hotel. The purple circle is the traffic circle & San Sebastian bridge across the river. The equestrian statue of Perez is to the left of the bridge. The blue circle is the location of the Plaza del Platitos.
Map 2Map 2
Map 2

The purple circle is the bridge & traffic circle. The green circle is the Plaza del Platitos.



15th March 2015

Very nice coverage !
As you have been doing lately, the shots taken in bright sunlight once again show the sites and the skies very nicely ... I'd want to visit, if I were still travelling that far. What an original idea to use broken pieces of pottery for the benches ... sort of like Portuguese azulejos, but locally authentic! Thanks for another fine collection.
16th March 2015

Lovely mosaic
I also enjoy the neighbourhood street scene.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb