Cholula


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Puebla
July 19th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ten km west of Puebla stands the widest pyramid ever built, Piramide Tepanapa - the Great Pyramid of Cholula. By the 4th century AD, it measured 450m along each side of the base and was 65 m high, making it larger in volume than Egypt's Pyramid of Cheops. Now overgrown and topped by a Church, thanks to the Spanish, it's difficult to recognize, but still worth the visit because it's history is still impressive.

Several pyramids were built on top of each other during various reconstructions. There are over 8km of tunnels that have been dug beneath the pyramid by archaeologists to penetrate each stage. The tunnels were quite impressive, especially since you first walk through the tunnels upon entrance.

Carlos and I spent a good two hours walking around the archaeloogical zone. Of course, here we encountered our new Italian friends walking as well. This time a friendly wave was exchanged.

The town of Cholula is quite small, but worth a visit as well. Its private University of the Americas is home to many foreign students as well as Mexican students. A youthful and lively feel is quite obvious day or night.

The zocalo is the The Tunnels That Finally Lead To the Outside World second main attraction in this small town. You can choose from a dozen cafe-bars, juice bars, live music venues, hot chocolate and churros hangouts and full-service restaurants. We were happy to find a juice bar off the beaten path that offered my favorite maracuya (passion fruit) juice and a pina (pineapple) empanada.

We then made our way to the bus station to take the local bus (less than .50) back to Puebla before continuing on to Oaxaca.





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Amber y PopoAmber y Popo
Amber y Popo

Mexico City is on the other side of Popo.


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb