Tepoztlan


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Morelos » Tepoztlán
September 13th 2007
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

HungerHungerHunger

Eating fried quesadillas and pozole in Tepoztlan.
(August 3, 2007-August 4, 2007)

I had gotten a chance to see Tepoztlan before on my first trip to Mexico. I enjoyed it greatly, and the town left a nice impression. From the beginning of planning our trip, our intentions were to visit Tepoztlan, specially since Janneth had noticed that a neighborhood festival was planned for Saturday the fourth. I had also mentioned to her about the pyramid, and showed her pictures of the mountain side we had to walk up, and that made her a bit nervous--it really isn't that bad.

We left Totolapan at around 8 on Friday night, and the conversation in the car was lively due to the bottle of tequila we had just drank. The road was dark, and roadside animals came out of nowhere. Legend has it that many witches transform themselves into wild or herd animals to cause mischief. Never malicious in intent, but they cause small harm in order to have fun with people.
Tepoztlan is a small town, about an hour away from Cuernavaca, and as well as Mexico City. It is a big tourist attraction due to the pyramid atop one of the mountains that the town is nestled in and the religious atmosphere that permeates in the town. Many religious groups can be found here, more notably shamans that can take you in psychedelic trips, while they interpret your visions. I have heard of wonderful experiences, though I have had little inclination on trying any trips of the kind. Pozole, ice cream, and the artisan crafts that are sold in the town are also great attractions for tourists.
Arriving into the town on Friday night, Janneth and I quickly reserved a room for the night, and headed out to eat pozole with Adrian and Bere. The night was wonderful, as a massive rainstorm dulled us to sleep. The next morning we left the hostel early and ate breakfast in front of the Zocalo--a bit expensive, so I suggest eating a bit farther down the road towards the beginning of the climb, where breakfasts and lunches can be had for half the price we ate for.
The walk up to Tepozteco is about an hour. The pyramid is not big, but it is very impressive on how it was built, and the way people must have had to labor. The view, as I have said before, is one of
The hostel in TepoztlanThe hostel in TepoztlanThe hostel in Tepoztlan

The hostel was full of wonderful woodcarvings on every piece of furniture. This was on our bed.
the best city views you can see, so the exhausting hike is worth it--take plenty of water. The entrance is free with student IDs, and about 30 pesos without them.

The walk down was much quicker and easier; though one has to be careful when the rocks are wet. Once down the tradition is to gulp a liter of michelada. I was not feeling that excited about the chili and lime combination, so instead we drank the liter beer by itself while we strolled through the town. Our first stop was the market. Next to the zocalo, you can find a market, dedicated to clothes, CDs, and houses needs, which surround the middle of the market, dedicated to food.
The roads that line the zocalo are dedicated to stores that are filled with every kind of craft imaginable. The stalls set up to sell jewelry, clothes, or crafts are beautiful, and bargaining is half the fun. We bought some bracelets and clothes. The church is nestled in the middle of the road that is lined with the crafts. People come into the church grounds to take refuge from the crowd with beer in tow--we did the same. Our lunch
Early MorningEarly MorningEarly Morning

On our walk to go up to Tepozteco. The earlier the better, as the heat is not as punishing as later in the day.
consisted of rotisserie chicken bought in the market, and once again with ice cold beer.

To head out towards Cuernavaca, a taxi will run you 120-140 pesos, and an express bus about 25-30 pesos. We took the local, 11 pesos, and enjoyed the views. Once in Cuernavaca we headed to a party with Bere, small and intimate, and then onto a more livelier party with Bere, Lucia, and Elkin that ran all night, fueled by mojitos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

TepoztlanTepoztlan
Tepoztlan

View of the town on the walk up to Tepozteco.
At the top...At the top...
At the top...

exhaustion.
At the topAt the top
At the top

Every person, just look at my shirt, is drenched in sweat when they get to the top.
TepoztlanTepoztlan
Tepoztlan

A view of the city from the top of Tepozteco
TepoztecoTepozteco
Tepozteco

Janneth's face says it all about the walk up.
TepoztlanTepoztlan
Tepoztlan

the church next to the zocalo. view of the mountains of Tepoztlan
TepoztlanTepoztlan
Tepoztlan

Church near the zocalo. I wasn't the only one enjoying beer.
CuernavacaCuernavaca
Cuernavaca

Party held for a friend of Lucia's
At the partyAt the party
At the party

A random, fat rabbit that popped out.


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 20; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb