54th Anniversario de NPH


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Morelos » Miacatlán
August 10th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola todos!

I'm just now catching up on some entries! Last weekend was the Anniversary of NPH. The first orphanage of the organization was here in Mexico and it was started by Father Wassen (who was from Arizona!) 54 years ago. It all started with one poor orphan boy who stole from the collection money at the church in Cuernavaca where Fr. Wassen served as priest. Father pulled him out of jail and took him into his home to take care of him. 54 years later, the home here in Mexico houses 800 orphans and now NPH is taking care of orphans in 8 other countries (Haiti, Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Peru, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador).

All this kids from the home here were bused (including me) to Miacatlan on Friday afternoon. Then the festivities began and they lasted until Saturday afternoon. There is a big soccer tournament between the soccer teams from Miacatlan, Cuernavaca, and Monterrey (pequenos at the University). We played basketball, the girls form cheerleading teams, there were hot dogs, games, mass, a great lunch on Saturday (with MEAT!), a presentation of the traditional dancing groups with Mariachi band and a demonstration of the kids in Tai Kwan Do (they even broke wooden boards with their feet and arms!). Then I got to hang out for the first time with all the other volunteers, which was a lot of fun with a lot of laughter. We are all very different and from all over the country and world (Wisconsin, Texas, Ohio, Iceland, England, Kentucky, Arizona, North Carolina..etc), yet we all share one thing. We love these kids here.

Look at these pictures...how can you not fall in love with them?

peace,
Natalie


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Garrido's SonGarrido's Son
Garrido's Son

Garrido is the sub-director for the boys here. He was a pequeno.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb