mexican lessons (part one)


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Morelos » Cuernavaca
June 20th 2006
Published: June 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

¡hola¡

i've been meaning to do this for a while, and i probably won't remember (or write) eeeeverything i've learned in mexico. but, here's a start, k?

1. taxi drivers, or, drivers in general, have the right of way. there are no stop signs, or if they are, they aren't observed. the only reason cars slow down are because of a speed bump, called a "tope" which is strikingly similar to the spanish word for awkward, which is "torpe" (especially when our mexican papá says it) which i think is very appropriate, since speed bumps are, generally, awkward.

2. there is no way to understand our mexican dad. we try really hard, but its next to impossible. he's nice though. sometimes we just have to smile and nod.

3. there is a mysterious lady that comes to visit a lot that tina has yet to introduce us to. we have had dinner with her once, and had at least 2 in depth conversations with her. but honestly i have no clue who she is.

4. don't slam the doors in mexico. especially in cabs. lauren has apparently been fussed at for it. its really hard to, because there's this perfect equilibrium between slamming the door and having it not quite catch. its an art i have yet to master, to be honest, even after 20 days here.

5. don't hire tour guides named nacho. if you do, they will tell you everything there is to know about anything.. ever. you will spent the entire day in museums learning about more than you ever imagined. in a bad way.

6. eat rice flavored ice cream. eat a lot of it. its really good.

7. no shrimp in mexico. i didn't learn that first hand, but enough people in our group did that i am learning from their experiences.

8. the country code for calling the US from mexico is 001. it took me a week to learn that. so treasure this information. 😊

9. there are bells at uninter. it makes me feel like i'm 12. but i'm okay with it.

10. realize that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. value the little things, like the cab drivers who try to give you their number, the crazy dogs running up and down the street, trying to bite your ankles, the uncomfortableness, everything. cause in the end, its good, you know?



sorry if that doesn't make any sense. its been a long day... 😊 a tough one, but a good one. i'm looking forward to some cena (dinner).. hot chocolate and bread is amazing. good night all! love you and miss you.

Advertisement



21st June 2006

the little things
What a delightful report. I trust that you're keeping a journal of the "little things." I think you are very wise to realize that the little things very often are those things which have the greatest impact on our lives. They may not be the most exciting at the time, but in the span of life they have "mucho" (my only effort at Spanish) influence. I remember when your daddy was a tiny baby we stopped at my aunt's house. She lived in Roanoke and we were on the way to Pop M's mother house for her to see Jim for the first time. I noticed how polite my aunt was to her two children and I asked her about it. Her reply, I believe, had a greater impact on my "mothering" than anything I encountered. She said, "My children are the most important people who come into this house. Surely, I would as polite to them as I am to any guest." Have a great last week or so.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb