Teotihuacan . . . what's up?


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Morelos » Cuernavaca
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another bus ride on the way to what I think should definitely be one of the seven wonders of the world!
We left for Teotihuacan by way Mexico Distrito Federal (A fancy way of saying Mexico City) pretty early in the morning, our heads still spinning from silver fever at Taxco.
The two-hour trip took no time at all, excepting of course, for those travelers not yet used to the gentle swaying of the bus ride. Again, several people decided a safe course of action would be to have a "catch-all bag" for any wayward breakfast meals refusing to stay centrally located in the safety of one's stomach.
Our tour guide from the school made sure we drove past some of the more popular travel destinations Mexico D.F. had to offer, including the Plaza Mayor, where the National Palace and Cathedral are located. Another stop included a site were you could see a recently excavated pyramid, on top of which was a structure built by the Spaniards, on top of which was a more contemporary structure. I think it's called the "Three Eras" or something like that. Whatever it was called, it was pretty cool. The pyramid was actually discovered while construction workers were laying new phone lines. But what really brought a sense of awe to the journey toward Teotihuacan, were the vaqueros riding their horses right next to the bus . . . the Mexico I often picture!

Upon arrival at the sight of Teotihuacan, we took a few minutes to watch local performers reenact an ancient Aztec ritual of hanging an swinging from a very tall pole. No one really told us why they did it, but it sure made for a spectacular scene, and I sure wasn't going to spoil a good thing by asking if that's something that they really did. As the "Aztecs" descended, they played a soft melody on pan flutes, upside down, mind you, while one foot is wrapped with the rope. A circle at the top of the pole kept them rotating, but I don't know what kept them from getting nauseous. For all that hard work, I made sure to tip the old guy that came around collecting for them. At least, I think that's why he was collecting money, he was, after all, dressed just like the performers, although I'm sure he might have had trouble hanging from the pole like the performers.

Anyway, at last we were to meet our guide after working our way through a myriad of shops and vendors. As soon as you see the campus, you begin to get a small idea of the vastness of this ancient Aztec location.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb