¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Mexico City
October 10th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having had our fill of all thing's old, we moved Northwards. Coincidentally enough, to get to our next destination by the beach, we had a stopover in the town of Palenque in Mexico, which is also famous for its Mayan archaeological ruins. We decided to give this one a miss and hightailed it to Puerto Escondido on the Pacific coast for sun, sand and suntans. We stayed in a hostel run by the most peculiar English man and kicked back and relaxed with some Ozzies and Kiwis, who were also staying there. The next day, ready to take on the sun, we were greeted with sheets of rain, interspersed with pockets of sunshine. Undeterred, we made for the beach along a beautiful walkway along the cliffs of the town witnessing crabs of all shapes and sizes attempting suicide. Upon hearing our footsteps and expecting impending doom, they chose to fling themselves mercilessly off the sides of the cliffs, over 50 metres high, rather than let us walk by. By the time we reached the beach, it was raining heavily and all we could do was retire to one of the beach bars and enjoy some afternoon mojitos, which we did with gusto!

When we woke up the following morning, we were greeted with similar weather and decided we would move on to Mexico city, our last stop on our journey. We arrived in Mexico city in the early hours and checked into our hostel which was conviently located in the middle of the city. We wandered around and took in some sights and enjoyed the delightful Mexican food that could be bought on every street corner, as cheap as chips. We went to the museum of Anthropology, which displayed copies of Mayan and Aztec ruins. We went Cocoyan, a bohemian suburb of Mexico and home to La Casa Azul, Frieda Kahlo's house. We took in some interesting facts about her life aswell as marvelling at her magnificent paintings. The highlight of our trip to the capital city was Friday night Mexican Wrestlemania. Friday nights are big news for Mexican wrestling fans,where they turn out in their hundreds, dressed as their favourite wrestlers and sing both supporting and taunting chants for each wrestler in the ring. We watched midget wrestlers dressed as penguins, female wrestlers and gay wrestlers all tearing each other up in the ring. It was highly entertaining! The following day we went against our better judgement and took a bus out to Six Flags amusement park. Tacky, yes, but thoroughly enjoyable, with such rides as Batman, Superman and houses that defy gravity!!

Before arriving in Mexico, I had been most excited about the wonderful food and drinking decent beers like Corona again. I was not disappointed, as the food was cheap and tasted so good and the beer was plentiful! Our five month trip of South and Central America has come to an end. But new beginnings are around the corner in Guadeloupe in the French West Indies.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb