International Mariachi Festival and Lake Chapala


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
September 7th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
I'm very sorry I can't write much this time but I think the photos and whatnot are better experience than anything I can describe.

Last Sunday in the centre of the city the International Mariachi Festival was held and it was MAD!

Last Friday, Katherine and I decided to visit Lake Chapala which is about an hours south from Guadalajara and the largest inland lake in Mexico (or something like that). Chapala and ajijic (pronouces a-he-he) are these two sleep little towns on the edge of the lake (its somewhat polluted but still very pretty to look at) that are particularly popular with American retirees. Its the Meixcan equivalent to god's waiting room really. Its interesting though, because theres a double life in Chapala, those of the american retirees and their expensive houses with pools etc next to the lake, and the life of the mexicans in the village that keep the whole place ticking over. We walked down one street where on one side there were large gates, closed in communities etc of the americans and on the other side the small houses of the mexicans.

We met some cool Americans though with plenty of advice on where to do, what to do and most importantly where to eat!

The next update of my pacific coast holiday is coming soon! much love.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

More Police CavalryMore Police Cavalry
More Police Cavalry

The horses were beautifully taken care of.
Traditional dancingTraditional dancing
Traditional dancing

I wish I could claim this photo but Katherine managed to take this one!
And this is the american sideAnd this is the american side
And this is the american side

You can see the difference!!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb