December 24 to December 27, 2013 Christmas in Ajijic


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Ajijic
December 27th 2013
Published: December 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

December 24

We began our Christmas celebrations on Christmas Eve in true Mexican style. Jorge put up a large awning in our courtyard and ordered tables and chairs. Everyone was invited; residents, family and friends. His aunt made a huge pot of posole which is the traditional Mexican meal for Christmas Eve. We all brought something to share however, the posole, (pork stew or soup) with the huge Mexican corn kernels was so filling that we really didn’t need the additional side dishes.

Our weather was not the best, but considering the ice storm that had left many people in the dark in Canada and the major flooding that was underway in the Caribbean, we were in very good shape. It had rained for a few minutes earlier in the day and then turned quite chilly in the evening. We all wore jackets and Jorge built a fire in a wheel barrel.

After the meal, Jorge adjusted the rope on the piñata so that he could get it swinging. With eyes covered, all of the children and some of the adults had a turn trying to destroy it. When Paul, our neighbour took the final swing and it fell to the ground everyone cheered. Children and adults scrambled for the treats.

We had a little sing song at the dinner table that had everyone in stitches, laughing so hard we couldn’t sing.

It’s a Mexican ranchera song by Julión Álvarez Y Su Norteño Banda.

The chorus goes:

“¿Qué te parece?
Fine fine fine. Very good very good very good.
Very very very very good”.

My Kayak friends in Carriacou (and in Canada), know how much I enjoy singing the Rum Family song. When in Mexico, this song will be my favourite.

I am including a link to the You Tube version.
#t=56">
#t=56


When the laughter was finished, Jorge put on some serious dancing music and had everyone up on their feet.

The night flew by very quickly. As it was Christmas Eve, baby Jesus was added to the nativity scene. The young people continued to party but we retired to bed and fell asleep listening to the fireworks which seem to be part of every celebration.

Christmas Day was quiet. Rick and I had a nice Canadian breakfast of pancakes, Canadian maple syrup and bacon.
Christmas dinner at Wendy and Lorne'sChristmas dinner at Wendy and Lorne'sChristmas dinner at Wendy and Lorne's

We were invited for Christmas dinner at our ex-cruising friends Wendy and Lorne’s house. We borrowed Jorge’s car and arrived along with many others. There were ten of us for dinner. Wendy prepared a huge feast. She is from Regina, Saskatchewan, so Christmas dinner wasn’t just turkey and fixings it was also a Ukrainian meal with cabbage rolls.

After dinner, the door bell continued to ring with more friends and neighbours arriving. It was a wonderful evening; we sat around and everyone talked about different places they had all visited. When it was time for us to leave we were able to drive their friends Linda and Bert home. They are also from Canada and renting a place close by ours.

On Thursday, there are no Boxing Day sales in Ajijic so I thought it was a good day to stay indoors and hibernate. It turned out to be the perfect plan. It rained heavily all day long so it was not a day to be out and about. We curled up with a glass of wine and watched a few nice Christmas movies on Netflix.



It was still raining lightly when we awoke on
Lorne and Wendy in the kitchenLorne and Wendy in the kitchenLorne and Wendy in the kitchen
December 27. We had nothing planned so I made a quick call after breakfast and we were both able to arrange an appointment at the Mayan Spa. We both needed our hair cut and I was ready for another manicure and pedicure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rick Christmas EveRick Christmas Eve
Rick Christmas Eve
Posole Posole
Posole
Paul preparing to cut the cake Paul preparing to cut the cake
Paul preparing to cut the cake
Jorge and Rick prepare the piñataJorge and Rick prepare the piñata
Jorge and Rick prepare the piñata
Edwardo's turn at the  piñataEdwardo's turn at the  piñata
Edwardo's turn at the piñata
The dancing beginsThe dancing begins
The dancing begins
The crowd at Wendy and Lorne's on Christmas DayThe crowd at Wendy and Lorne's on Christmas Day
The crowd at Wendy and Lorne's on Christmas Day
Carolyn at the Mayan SpaCarolyn at the Mayan Spa
Carolyn at the Mayan Spa
Rick at the SpaRick at the Spa
Rick at the Spa


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb