December 15th, 2013 AJIJIc


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Ajijic
December 15th 2013
Published: December 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

December 15, 2013

We have comfortably settled into a routine here in Ajijic. Mondays are market day in San Antonio. I have learned that what I refer to as a market on Mondays is truly a market. In Mexican terms, a market is held in the same place, same time, same vendors and it is under a roof or indoors.

What I refer to as a Market on Wednesdays is actually called a Tienda. A Tienda is comprised of vendors and artists that travel from town to town setting up their stands in the open or under canvas tarps.

We attend both now each week. It has become a social event where we purchase a few items and meet with friends.

Everyone is normally home in the afternoon, so normally our all meet for happy hour by the pool before dinner.

This Wednesday evening we attended a Christmas and Hanukkah concert at the auditorium. It was a wonderful concert and included a nice mix of music. The choir wasn’t as large as the Mendelssohn Choir and the concert wasn’t as long as the Messiah but it was just as enjoyable. The final song of the evening was Hava Nagila which left everyone wanting more.

Thursday December 12 was a holiday in Jalisco, many businesses, banks and government offices were closed. It was the Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe. Celebrations began with fireworks at 6am but it’s interesting how I can now sleep through the fireworks (they are just noise makers, like canons).

One of our neighbors owns a small restaurant and bar in Ajijic. So, as a group, two carloads of us (all neighbours), went for a fun evening and dinner at their place called The Merendero Restaurant. Dinner was very nice and inexpensive. Entertainment was provided by a Mariachi band that came by.



Saturday evening, we attended the Lakeside Little theatre for the production of Over the River and Through the Woods. Again we were impressed with the set and acting. The costumes were not as elaborate as the last production but very appropriate for this play. It was a very enjoyable and exciting evening. The excitement was caused not by the play but by our (Rick’s) first time driving in Mexico on the cobblestone roads. We borrowed Jorge’s second car and because it is small and close to the ground it feels a little like being shaken in a blender while driving on the side roads. We made it there and back in one piece.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb