Who runs from the police?


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Hidalgo » Pachuca
October 2nd 2006
Published: October 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, this is a good question. Apparently, we do. So the story begins with a backdrob of two weeks ago in Mexico City. Josh, Antonella (Josh's "friend") and myself went to Mexico DF for the weekend. Friday night, near the Zocalo, at the spanish cultural center. We are wating in line to get into the club, and sure enough, we meet some folks. Of course, there is at least one güero in the group, but this is alright, because we are all talking in spanish. Well, we are talking in a mix of spanish and enlgish. We are finally let into the club, go upstairs to have a few drinks, and listen to some trance music. Ok so let's fastforward to 2 am, and the club is closing. Party-goers are spewing into the street below and greated by the cold night air. With our new comrades we decide to go to a new venue for what is called "afters" also known as the fiesta despues de la fiesta. So we pile into the cars that they brought, 4 in the back seat, 2 in the front seat, and a lawyer friend driving. We depart , heading in the direction of the main road, and "el patio de mi casa". We are not two blocks from our begining point, and what happens, but red flashing lights. "Oh man, we are in for it now." I was in a car being pulled over by the Mexican police. What the fuck do we do now? Well, quitely, the four of us sit in the back listening, whispering to each other, "is this really happening?" The cop acts just like the cops from the states, comes around the driver's window and asks (in spanish of course), "Do you know why I pulled you over?", response, "no jefe", "Because you have too many people in your car. How many is that? 4? Yea, that's too many. Have you been drinking? Smoking? are you Drunk?", all the while, "no jefe, I am ok, I am fine, no i have not been drinking."
Finally, the driver (who's name I cannot remember) says to the cops, "listen, I am a lawyer, and this is all fine. There is not a problem here, look, here is my identification." At this point, he reaches into his back pocket and hands the cop a laminated piece of blue paper that looks just like some form of ID. The cop takes it from him, and walks up ahead of the car infront of us to confer with his amigo. At this time, our driver slowly backs his car up (remember we are sandwhiched between two police cars), and quickly pulls into the traffic lane. We take off, driving down the road, making a break for it. In my head, "Holy shit, we are running from the cops, we are really running from the cops, I can't believe this is happening!" Out loud, "so are we running from the police?" the response, "Don't worry, we havn't done anything wrong, this happens all the time...those pinche cops were just looking for money." So apparently there is no law that says that you have to have a seatbelt for each person in the car, so we had, in effect done nothing wrong. I said "what about his ID? You just gave the cops your id and then took off?" "Yea, don't worry about it, it's not a problem I am a lawyer, and I will take care of everything on Monday." So to answer the questions, yes, I run, Josh runs, and Antonella runs from the police. They didn't follow, because we did nothing wrong, but still what a crazy experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb