Amber's birthday / El cumple de Amber


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero
May 24th 2007
Published: May 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Four days after we arrived to Mexico we celebrated my birthday. The morning of my birthday was kicked off with Carlos and his father blowing off firecrackers for at least 5 minutes outside of the home. I was sound asleep and was convinced there was a horrible crash outside when I heard the almost deafening sound. This is very common in small Mexican towns.

Carlos organized a grand party for me at his parents home. The party was to start around 8:00 p.m., but you have to remember we in are Mexico so really the party started after 9:00 p.m and lasted well into the morning...around 4:00 a.m. There was singing, dancing, drinking, eating, etc. with all of Carlos family and friends. I even had not one, but two birthday cakes. I was treated just like family, which in Mexico is no surprise because family and friends are everything. As you can see from the photos, Carlos hired a Mariachi Band for the party as well. I had no idea and was pleasantly surprised when I heard them playing outside of the house before the entered. It was a great way to celebrate my birthday and be introduced to the Mexican culture.

Everyday, we are surrounded by family. We typically have three meals a day with the immediate family including: Rodo - Carlos' father, Paty Carlos' mother, GRETTEL- CARLOS' WONDERFUL SISTER (TE QUIERO GRETTEL), Kapila - Carlos' older brother, Paloma - Kapila's wife and of course Kapilita - the 3 year old son of Kapila and Paloma. Breakfast is typically a light meal eaten anytime from 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. depending on the activities of the day, followed by lunch which is the largest meal of the day typically around 4:30 p.m. and a very light dinner anytime later in the evening.

Esperanza is typically the one that cooks and cleans for the family. She has worked for the family for at least the last 10 years. Having help in Central and South America is very common and most families have the help. Espe, her nickname, didn't speak any Spanish when she was hired by the family. She spoke a dialect from a small town in the mountains. The family has taught her Spanish and even put her through school.

We literally go to the market everyday for whatever we need for the meals that day. We have even driven 30 minutes to another town, Zumpango, to buy fresh cheese - anywhere from 2 months to 16 months aged. Everything is FRESH!!!

During different parts of the day you hear men yelling from the streets as they push carts or ride three wheeled bikes honking a horn - not a car horn, but a bike horn, selling anything from bread to cheese. The bread that is sold in the streets of Chilpancingo is called Bolillo. Bread/pan is very popular in Mexico and every different in every region and state.






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



5th June 2007

Happy Belated Bday!
Amber - sorry I missed your birthday --glad it was a fun celebration - looks like you are having a wonderful time... Happy Belated Bday - 143 - Beth
5th June 2007

Happy belated Birthday!
Hola Amber, Feliz cumpleaños atrasados! It is fascinating to read everything that you are doing over there. Carlos family seems as fun as him... You are in such a great hands! I love to be able to read and know about your adventure...Thanks for adding me :) We love you and miss you. Mándale muchos saludos a Carlos. Reciban un abrazo!

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb