Zihuatanejo and the final week


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Zihuatanejo
August 17th 2010
Published: August 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

And so after a few weeks of some hard work, what better way to enjoy yourself than with a trip to the beach. So off to Zihua we went for a 5 hour bus ride. Just about all of the bus rides offer some form of entertainment in the form of movies or tv shows. We were treated to the gem known as 'Blond and Blonder', starring Pamela Anderson & Denise Richards. Easily one of the worst things I've ever watched (tried to sleep through most), ranking right up there with 'Dirty Dancing' and 'The Notebook'. I won't go into the details but if you're interested, you can look it up on IMDB (don't think I'll be looking for 'Blond and Blonder 2' upon my return).

So we finally get to the Zihua and meet up wth a few others around midnight and go for a few drinks, but damn was it hot. The kind of place where you sweating just after sitting for a few seconds (sounds like good ol' Fort Worth right about now). But the beach was just down the road, so you couldn't really complain much. Spent much of the day at Playa La Ropa, just relaxing, swimming and running away from a small sting ray that we saw several times. In the evening, we met a group of Dutch students that were just about to begin their studies in Cuernavaca for 5 months. They joined us for dinner but only one continued on after for drinks. After a bar or two, we made it back to the hostel, for a few more accompanied by Dave's ukulele and some tipsy singing.

Back to Uruetaro on Sunday for preparation of our final week. During the week, I found out that we'd have to come up with some kind of presentation this week also, as the people in charge of the program on the Michoacan side were attending. Great, just a few days to prepare something. When it came time, I barely could get this group to produce the ABC song. This second round of students proved to be a little more difficult to motivate (they didn't even like hangman, my go-to move). Though, I believe, the best performance came from another camp in Tingambato. Lottie and Lauren combined classes for their presentation and taught their kids the 'Thriller' dance. Saw the video and they pulled it off, greatness. There's a link to it somewhere that i'll find and share in the near future.

So after just a few weeks of teaching, there were a few things that I quickly learned up to this point. The main thing, kids were a little more difficult to handle than i anticipated. For the most part, they were responsive and respectful. But when they didn't want to do a particular activity, they might just shut down completely. Or half the class was into something and the other half not. it was very hard to find the balance that everyone could be on board with. I have a much greater respect and appreciation for the people who can do this year after year, it can be quite difficult at times. the worst was when I told a certain girl she couldn't go to the restroom at a certain time (you let one go, they all want to go). I turn around 5 minutes later and she's crying. There aren't many things that can make you feel worse than the first time you make a little girl cry. But then we went outside to play and she was fine. Overall, this experience has been one that i've learned much from, will never forget and might do again in the near future. From meeting the locals in Morelia and Uruetaro, to making new friends within the volunteer group from all over, it's something i'm very much glad i did and would do it over if the chance comes around (even knowing that i'll be completely broke upon returning to FTW).

Now to begin my mini-vacation (i say mini because its being cut short by about a month, that money thing catching up to me)...
A few pics that i may have missed throughout the previous entries. Next up, one last weekend with the group in Morelia and Mexico City

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb