Day 55 - Discovering Guanajuato all over again


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato
August 26th 2006
Published: August 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post


First things first, to really start this Guanajuato visit off on the right foot we visited a café called Truco No7, for 'hueves Mexicana' (eggs Mexican style ie HOT). Ed has been thinking about this dish ever since we knew we were coming back here. We had it for breakfast in this very same café after a night out with James in Guanajuato in 2003. We remembered all the old haunts we visited! (In 2003 neither we nor James had mobiles and we hadn't made arrangements for a time and place to meet. But he knew we must be in town because as he was logging onto his hotmail account in an internet café Ed's name came up as the last person to use that computer. Freaky.)

Guanajuato is an incredible place. If it wasn't here then anyone who suggested building a town here would be frogmarched to the asylum - it's in the middle of nowhere and with way too many steep hills. But 200 years ago a quarter of the silver in the whole world came from here. Just think, if you've got 4 Napoleonic-era silver coins then 1 is from right here...

Once orientated we made it up the hill to the townhouse we are going to make home for the next 2 weeks. We met Hayde (owner of Escuela Mexicana), Ceybelle and Tania (her teenage daughters) and Fiji the dog.

Gemma tried her hand at bargaining and purchased three very vibrant Mexican rugs. She was proud of her haggling skills but seems to have forgotten the cost of posting them home.

Lunch and dinner around the table were quiet as no English was allowed, but hopefully the lessons will help and our Spanish-speaking confidence should grow with time.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb