Trip of Giants - Guanajuato to Oaxaca


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato » Guanajuato
August 14th 2010
Published: August 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

ArtArtArt

Hotel Fortin Plaza
I had a long fever which broke by early morning, but the diarrhea remains 😞. Hate that unsettled feetling the stomach that things aren't right. The taxi arrives as planned for 10am, but its the usual sedan from around town, about the size of a older model toyota corolla sedan, and only two cases fit in the boot. So the smaller two are piled on the front seat and Liam sits on Ky's knee with us all squashed in the back. This ain't gonna work in two years when Liam is too big and bony to sit on laps!

Leon airport is very modern, beautiful stone floor and large murals on the walls. Very orderly and on time, but hard seats. Anyway with me being tired and light-headed Ky has taken the lead in keeping the kids amused through the day. Mostly playing cards. Liam has his camera battery recharged and is taking silly movies of him and Joseph. Joseph has a go at solitaire and wins (by carefully rearranging some of the piles like I used to do). Ky becomes a star for a short while when Joseph's ball orbits her. 😊

At Mexico City airport, a bus takes us from the plane across the runways to the terminal, and we see the monorail that we'll be using for our transfer to international on the outbound flight. Terminal 1, the domestic terminal is long, with major chains like McDonalds, Subway and 7 Eleven. The seats are comfy. Toilets flush automatically by sensor and the water from the taps is also sensor activated.

Another fantastically short flight. We've just experienced both extremes in leg room: The Leon to Mexico City plane had such short leg room that my knees were actually pressed against the seat in front while sitting normally. But the Mexico City to Oaxaca plane is expansive. I could stretch my legs way out and not reach the base of the front of the next seat, and no touching of knees! The plane was a little odd in layout though, with two seats on one side and three on the other. Wonder how they balanced the weight for flight?

At Oaxaca airport, we collect a taxi ticket for $330, seems based on numbers of people as they pool the destinations. That gets us a van which can fit all our luggage.

Hotel Fortin Plaza is fantastic. The pool is blue (not green as I recall the internet pics), warm, and as exciting as it looks. The paintings in the lobby are brilliant, and yes the concierge speaks english ( a little but enough). Payment is a problem as they haven't recorded payment from Orbitz so need to sort that out. The hotel is very modern, with keycard entry to the room, keycard activated electricity for the room, aircon, very nice shower etc. The standard bed layout is two double beds and they can't offer a single. Anyone know why so many hotels offer "standard" two double beds? I mean do couples really room together that much? Seems bizarre.

With me still washed out, we go to the in-house retaurant for dinner where a little discussion with the waiter in spanish results in us selecting the buffet for $120 each. Joseph piles up on fruit, eats almost all the strawberries, while Liam gets an amusing selection of fruit, small sausages, bread, a bowl of corn and a bowl of lentil and spaghetti soup. Ky enjoys small chopped spare ribs, while I also have the soup. Actually quite an odd but diverse selection of dishes that are ok.

Back in our room, Liam has found a load of special photo options on his camera and takes a night shot from our balcony looking over the city, trying to catch the lightning that cascades along the hilltops that surround the city. A little bit more of spanish cartoons, or more correctly american cartoons dubbed into spanish (the boys enjoys watching Phineas and Ferb in any language), then to sleep with Joseph and Liam having to top-and-tail.









Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb