Trip of Giants - Guanajuato


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato » Guanajuato
August 11th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had thought of going to the large play-pool facility down the hill from us, but after a leisurely morning doing not much, we instead go back into town for lunch. A set of food stalls beside the Hidalgo Mergado look exciting as at each stall the attendants are waving their menus at us and calling us, trying to get us to visit their stall. I eventually decide to try a chicken enchilada, and order two for $35 each thinking they are single things and that Joseph or Liam will share. Well two plates of enhiladas with chicken and salad on top appear, and Liam is sitting beside me so he shares the chicken, then Kylie comes back after a brief foray into the market with Joseph and she finishes off the rest. We then follow Joseph into the mercado where we find very nice food stalls and he has found hot chips $18.

We then walk the alleyways through the eastern part of the central area, seeing the churches and temples although deciding not to go in. We look in a number of shops and Ky finds loads of colourful things but is very restrained in her purchases. We also look in the La Casa del Quijote, which features the finer pieces of art from Guanajuato and around. Very expensive (relative to Mexico and to our preferences) but also very nice.

By this time Joseph and Liam are starting to fuss, so we wind our way back towards the bus stop, going through one of the tunnels and passing the house of Diego Rivera. No sign of the bus again, but a taxi shows up to take us back to Soriana where we stock up for the last few days here. We only need two dinners' worth because we've found a very colourful restaurant by the church Basilica de Nuestro Senora de Guanajuato called Sofia's that is open until 10pm. That will be Thursday night.

We then struggle to find another taxi but eventually get back to our room, and the kids head for the pool. The rest of the day is spent with the kids playing games with other kids, playing cards and usual quiet stuff.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb