Pyramids, beer and chocolate sauce


Advertisement
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We clocked up some serious bus miles (and hours!) after Tulum, first travelling to Chichen Itza to see the pyramids and other ruins there before spending a day in a town called Merida and a 20 hour bus journey to reach Oaxaca in the south of Mexico.

Merida and Oaxaca are both old spanish colonial towns with really colourful central squares and markets. The people were really friendly and much easier to understand than the Cubans! We sampled the local spirits (Mezcal and Tequila) and obviously the beer... the specialty in terms of food other than the typical mexican tortillas, burritos etc is a "mole" sauce made with chocolate. Tamar thought this was ok but chocolate on chicken is just wrong! Maybe for chocoholics only we think, and definitely not diabetics.

The pyramids at Chichen Itza were fantastic but are dwarfed by those at Teotihuacan near Mexico City which was our next stop. After being in the tropical humidity for so long it was refreshing to go up into the mountains and not be constantly sweating! We stayed in a hostel next to the Plaza de la Constitucion with a great view from the rooftop bar over the city.
Nice to see the local wildlife....Nice to see the local wildlife....Nice to see the local wildlife....

....just not when it´s a MASSIVE spider running about in the hotel bar!!
Mexico City is a massive, sprawling place and has sub machine gun armed police on every corner for good reason. Definitely not somewhere for tourists to wander after dark!

We had a walk around the historic centre of the city (in the rain) and a trip up the Torre Latinoamericana with great views over the city before our trip to Teotihuacan just to the north. Climbing the pyramid in the sun at midday at this altitude definitely tests your fitness, too many coronas and tortillas maybe didn´t help us with that! The street stalls do win our vote for the best (and cheapest) food in Mexico though.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

It´s tiring in MexicoIt´s tiring in Mexico
It´s tiring in Mexico

must be the tequila...
View from the Latin American TowerView from the Latin American Tower
View from the Latin American Tower

Torre Latinoamerica, Mexico City


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb