Mexico final thoughts


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City » La Condesa
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I leave Mexico with mixed feelings and a little disappointed that we lost so much time to sorting out problems with our flights.

Mexico can be incredibly frustrating do not be in a rush or late in Mexico it really doesn't work no one will share your sense of urgency and you will just end up more frustrated like a fly banning it's head against a window. I like a relaxed attitude it's better for the blood pressure but sometimes when your really up against it other peoples relaxed attitude can drive you up the bloody wall. The majority of Mexicans that I met did not welcome me with a smile but stood stoney faced, their features in neutral. After some interaction, especially when conducted in Spanish a smile would break out and a warmth would shine through. Most of the hotel staff were adequately helpful sufficient in their attention to detail to get the job done but wasting no effort in pursuing excellence. Please let me be clear I am certain that many Mexicans do peruse and achieve excellence you only have to look at the fantastic architecture, statues, art and passion for football to see this. I would mention business but I have no knowledge of business in Mexico. I'm just referring to the majority of Mexicans that I met.

Accept that you are going to consume pig in some form or another. It comes in, with or on just about everything. It is considered a garnish. Ask if your cereal is 'Sin hammon' just to be sure. The traffic lights are quite helpful, the lights count down from thirty seconds informing you of how much time you have left to cross in relative safety but please look both ways as a red light is no guarantee that traffic will stop. The traffic police wave drivers through red lights as a matter of course and I guess this shows a willingness to use common sense over automated machinery to ease congestion. Having said that one mans common sense is another mans idiocy resulting in much horn blasting and gesticulating by drivers asked to wait at a green light. Tequila is best drunk not with lime and salt as is common on stag nights all over the UK but downed in one, neat and followed by a shot of tomato juice to smooth everything over again.

Get to archaeological sights early they are much better when not partially obscured by a gaggle of tourists bustling for position for the best shaded viewpoint. Your photos will not be ruined by some idiot doing a funny pose in front of a sacred ancient monument. Your ears are less likely to be assaulted by an overbearing tour guide booming information about the site in a language that you cannot understand. You will be more able to lose yourself in the magic of the site if you are not being elbowed out of the way by a sweaty German. *other nations have annoying, sweaty rude tourists. Not all Germans are sweaty, annoying and rude.

Do not by any internal flight tickets for Mexico from British Airways. You pay more. The airline that your flight is on may cancel your flight or go bust. British Airways will be absolutely useless in helping you out in case of any difficulty and charge you a premium rate when you phone them to complain. Instead wait until you get to Mexico to buy your internal flights direct from the Mexican airlines they are cheaper and we found the staff very helpful. Just be sure to allow some flexibility in your itinerary.

Do go to Condessa and stay at Condessa DF it is an fantastic luxury experience that you would pay five times the amount for in the UK. Do take the Copper Canyon train and ride a horse called Dollar and visit lots of Mayan temples. I will return to Mexico one day without the 'assistance' of British Airways' an do it much better. For now I am content with a mixed experience frustrating, amazing but over all very enjoyable. I love Mexico but like any lover sometimes it really pissed me off.


Just uploaded some more photos to Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/32820159@N06 more of Lou and I this time as requested. x d

Advertisement



28th December 2008

Nice post Mexico reflection! I cant believe the problems you had with flights it must be so annoying when you're on a schedule. Not as if you went with Peasant Airways either! I think a letter to them when you return wouldn't be out of place. Hope you're both having an excellent time and enjoy NYE in the Big Apple. Much love xx
29th December 2008

GO BACK!!!!!!
For 45 years I've traveled Mexico on the cheap. By train, by bus, by air, by taxi, by car, and by thumb! I go twice a year now for two or three weeks in my truck - Ford f-150. I never, ever had a bad experience. My wife and I stay in the hotels that the locals stay in. We travel lite and even at 60+ still travel by bus without hotel reservations. The only thing we do to get ready is plan where we want to go and in general how much time we want to spend getting there and back, and what we want to do when we get there. Your story excited me enough to move up our spring trip by several weeks.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb