Misol Ha y Agua Azul (Agua Cafe)


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas
August 6th 2007
Published: August 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our next part of the tour was to Misol Ha and Agua Azul, which we refer to as Agua Cafe. Our first stop was to the 35m jungle waterfall of Misol Ha. We eventually hiked to the farthest point and a guide informed us that there was one more waterfall, but it was hidden. At first we tried to make it own our own, but without a flashlight. As soon as I was in thigh high water we turned back and asked for the "guided tour" for 10 pesos each. The guide then took us on a much shorter and dryer route. There was a small visible waterfall tucked inside of a cave. So far the experience was worth the money spent, actually we hadn't paid at that point. He then proceeded to shine the light to the top of the cave and to our surprise, it was loaded with bats, some sleeping and some flying around...very low, I have to add. That got me out of there quick. I was polite and said muchas gracias as I headed for the light.

Our next and final stop was to Agua Cafe. Agua Cafe has a number of rivers that flow into one section creating many thunderous waterfalls. The place is packed with locals and tourists which is tolerable, but the walk up is lined with small restaurants and shops, which gets a bit annoying.

We reached the top, where we met up with a nice couple for Switzerland. At this point we all decided to go for a swim. There are signs cautioning everyone, but most people didn't pay much attention. I suppose we can be included in that group now. The water was cold, but fresh and the base was lined with large slippery rocks which made it difficult to walk. Overall, it was a refreshing dip.

During the rainy season, Agua Azul is more Agua Cafe, as we have referred too. It is still impressive, but the photos of the pristine blue waters merit a return visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Misol HaMisol Ha
Misol Ha

This photo was captured only because we were using the flash of the camera as our light before we asked for the "guided tour".
Misol HaMisol Ha
Misol Ha

If you look closely to the center of the photo you can see a bat hanging out...well actuallysleeping
Agua AzulAgua Azul
Agua Azul

To escape all of the people we hiked all the way to the top first then made our way down. We were trying to outsmart everyone else...not sure it worked though.
Agua AzulAgua Azul
Agua Azul

It's really not as bad as it seems. It may be brown, but it was quite refreshing.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb