Mexico - Palenque


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Palenque
August 29th 2006
Published: September 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In 30-something degrees....In 30-something degrees....In 30-something degrees....

While we were gasping for breath and resting every few steps in the shade, these guys manicured the acres of grass around Palenque
Our journey to the Mayan ruins of Palenque started with a rush to the bus station. We had to take 4 different subway lines and no time for mistakes. We arrived with minutes to spare and a chance to find some liquid yogurt and some churios (Mexican donuts). Our new Volvo coach entertained us with DVDs and air conditioned us into semi conscious comas. We stopped for some road side gruel, beans, some kind of poultry and fried platano (big tasteless brother to the banana). We were then approached by an attractive lady introducing herself and welcoming us to her country? Our first response was to figure out what she was selling then create a reason as to why we don’t want it. As time passed we realized that her roadside chitchat was just some friendly conversation to break up the journey.

After 16 hours and a few hours of sleep we arrived to the very hot city of Palenque at 9 am. We found our way to a comfortable guest house called Margarita and Ed´s (cozy double w/ bathroom - $16 USD) after checking out another which set new standards for the term “basic”.

Washed off our bus journey grime and headed to the ruins. The mid afternoon is the quietest time due to the heat, so there were just a few of us gringos´ exploring the 2000 year old ancient city. The temples were spectacular, the gardens were immaculately manicured, and the surrounding jungle was in pristine condition.

Returned to our bohemian tourist village and had some Prickly Pear Quesadillas and a much needed siesta.

Dinner was Italian, some off the best pizza we have both ever had (cooked in a wood fired brick oven of course). The night was complimented by some live Mexican folk music. Did some reading about our next destination, Tikal - Flores and Katharine made a valiant effort to finish her 900 page book to lighten her load.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Liam looking deceptively cool in his shadesLiam looking deceptively cool in his shades
Liam looking deceptively cool in his shades

These gardens were so beautifully kept, it was like a little paradise hidden in the Jungle


14th September 2006

T Shaped doors and windows
As I am planning a trip to this very area, your question intrigued me, this is what I found. "Another example of Maya influence is the widespread architectural use of the Mesoamerican "T" Shape, the symbol associated with I'q, the Breath of Life, and regarded as a portal to the spirit world. ( See The Breath of Life of the Maya ) The T shape is not only found in Maya cities and temples, but is also found in the American Southwest, in such famous sites as Mesa Verde, Montezum Castle, and Chaco Canyon."
15th September 2006

T Shaped Windaes
And the answer is..... drum roll please!: Another example of Maya influence is the widespread architectural use of the Mesoamerican "T" Shape, the symbol associated with I'q, the Breath of Life, and regarded as a portal to the spirit world. ( See The Breath of Life of the Maya ) The T shape is not only found in Maya cities and temples, but is also found in the American Southwest, in such famous sites as Mesa Verde, Montezum Castle, and Chaco Canyon. Loving your workx
19th September 2006

T shaped
I am more enlightend and more filled with the breath of life.... That´s pretty cool huh..... but I still wonder why the entrance into the spirit world is shaped like a "T" as apposed to an "O" or an "X". Still, facinating stuff, What!
19th September 2006

T
T now has a whole new meaning.....I shall be in search of "T"....and "Chi".... thanks for that. Have a great trip

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb