Villa Hermosa


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Palenque
February 9th 2009
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Up again at 5:30 for a day-long drive to Palenque. We stop at Villa Hermosa's La Venta Park, which is where you can see giant Olmec heads carved from stone. The Olmec were the predecessors of the Maya and Aztec. This is the first time that we needed mosquito repellent - but they didnĀ“t warn us before getting off the bus, and once in the park, we couldn't go back to the bus. Many of us got eaten, but no worse than Regina in the summer. There is also a small zoo there. The neatest thing were the Cotimundi that were roaming around free, and came around our tour group. They look like a big cat, but with anteater - type snouts, and made snorting sounds like my dog. Wild spider monkeys in the trees offered some excitement when one dropped a big turd close to where one of the ladies was resting. She moved in a hurry (it missed, so it was funny).


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



18th February 2009

Palenque
Your guys trip looks excellent!! I'm jealous you got to go to Palenque, one of the few places I wish I had made it to. Isn't the poverty astounding? And Mexico is considered 2nd world! Have fun!!!

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1006s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb