Palenque, Misol Ha and Agua Azul....back into time


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Palenque
November 15th 2006
Published: January 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Agua Azul Agua Azul Agua Azul

The cascading blue waters...it was a clear day with blue skies greeting us...
Left San Cristobal and moved on further down South towards Palenque, the famous Mayan ruins located 4 hours away from San Cristobal.
Decided to take a tour which took us to Palenque in a nice tour van making two stops along the way at Agua Azul and Misol-ha known for its amazing blue rivers and waterfalls.

The plan was to take the full day tour and not return to San Cristobal after and stay on in El Panchan in Palenque instead. The cost makes sense compared to just paying for a bus ride.

We were lucky as the weather was perfect and sunny. It was raining a fair bit for a few days prior.

Agua Azul means blue water in Spanish, and and true to its name, the cascading river was a beautiful blue, cool and serene. Spent 45 minutes here and then left to the next stop...

Next stop, Misol Ha, a powerfull waterfall in a beautiful setting. Was told that the movie Predator was filmed here. It was quite cool to walk into the waterfall from behind and lookout.

After the waterfall, we reached Palenque and rushed through the ruins as we had only 3 hours to explore, which is really not enough actually. Anyway, Palenque was really nice. Very different compared to Teotihuacan. You could really feel the city and imagine it at its hey days.
In the midst of trees and rivers. It was such a big place.

Was dissapointed that I did not try their famous "magic mushroom" ha ha....for those of you who know...

I originally checked into Ed and Margarites cabanas after the tour with Liz from Australia but at the last minute (as usual) I felt that it was time to move on and I bought the last bus ticket
to Merida instead on the same night.

(Some people spend 2-3 days exploring Palenque. As for me somehow I felt that I would see another ruin again sometime soon and it was to be the best as you would see later as you follow my blogs...)


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Agua Azul Agua Azul
Agua Azul

with Liz from Australia
Misol Ha Misol Ha
Misol Ha

Amazing waterfalls 65m high
Misol Ha Misol Ha
Misol Ha

Looking from inside of the water fall
Misol HaMisol Ha
Misol Ha

some nature lahhhhhh.....
Palenque Palenque
Palenque

On the way to Palenque saw signages. This sign says "do not destroy signages" cause most of the signs have bullet holes in them...hmmmm....thought it was funny, even this one had it...
Palenque Palenque
Palenque

The ruins....
Palenque Palenque
Palenque

The ruins....imagine the city in its hey days
PalenquePalenque
Palenque

Loads of walking....Palenque is such a hugeeeeeeee city...watch the view in the next pics after walking up..
PalenquePalenque
Palenque

...the walk up was worth it...a view fit for a king....
PalenquePalenque
Palenque

.....mayan ruins and more
PalenquePalenque
Palenque

...rivers that supply water to the once populated city


11th January 2007

Superb!!
Uncle Edgar (haha), Totally envious of what you've seen and those pics ... I'm sure the ruins are fabulous. Now can't wait to really start planning our trip to the Yucatan ... tips appreciated! Keep on scribbling.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 85; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb