Whale Watching!!


Advertisement
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

February 16, 2007. Before leaving LaPaz we located a water purification plant and had the holding tank filled again. This seems to be the best way for us to keep pure water available.
Loreto, our destination today, is considered to be the oldest continuously occupied town on the Baja, founded in 1697. After parking the Bothan at the Riveria del Mar, we took off on foot to explore the town. Our first stop was the Mission, then we browsed through shops, and eventually walked along the windy beach. We were on our way “home” when I turned to look for Bob. He was on the ground. One of the many potholes got him…an abrasion on the elbow and a hip that will be bruised tomorrow. So we iced the hip and cleaned the wound. It could have been a lot worse.
February 17, 2007. We are on our way to Guerrero Negro. This town has a natural lagoon, that is very attractive to the California Gray Whales. In January, February they congregate here and give birth. Then they teach the young whales how to use the air hole and breath, etc., before their long swim back to the north artic waters. After this long drive we managed to secure whale-watching tickets for early tomorrow. Our guide book raved about the Malarrimo RV Park/ restaurant, so we gave it a try. No hot showers and the restaurant was OK, so much for guide books.
February 18, 2007. We are off to see the whales, and we were not disappointed. It was quite a show of all sizes of whales popping up to breath and, of course, the graceful drive back into the water. You could actually the “Mom” and baby side by side. There were whales, whales, and more whales! Before leaving the lagoon, we stopped at the salt flats. The town owes its existence to the salt that is extracted from the seawater.
After the whale show, Bob drove to El Rosario, Motel Sinahi RV Park.
In the Baja, we had had many military inspection stop. Along the road will be a sign, then the military policia, complete with machine gun, asks to inspect the vehicle. They come inside, open a few cabinets and that is that. They are polite, and curious, but it seems to be overkill.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Big pile of saltBig pile of salt
Big pile of salt

this is going on some states highway


14th March 2007

Whale watching safety
I saw a video on the news last night about a whale attack on boats in the waters near Japan. I wondered whether mother whales would be more protective of their young in the waters where you were. What an experience!
11th April 2007

I love your blog
I have followed it from day 1.....actually month 1. I am a concerned 63 yr. old school teacher from Texas. I miss your posts and truly hope all is O.K. with you guys. The photography here is incredible and your site is clean enough that I can (and do) use your pictures in my class room.
21st April 2007

Hi Sue Thanks for your email, we appreciate your kind comments. I, too, was a teacher for 30 years, so I can relate. Now is our time to play and have fun. Mauren

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb