Alaskan Highway


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
July 19th 2007
Published: July 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 July 17 482 miles taveled
Out of the grain fields and into the spruce forests. Got onto the Alaskan Highway at Dawson Creek, British Columbia. Spent the night at a campground with a bunch of French Canadian pipeline construction workers. They are finding lots of natural gas in the area and will be piping some it our way. We also met a young couple from Green Bay and a couple of old geezers, like you know who, from Iowa at the camp ground.
Also had a slight mishap with the laptop computer. A Geoose set it on a lawn chair when he went to get a beverage. He came back and sat on the computer and it hasn't worked since. Will be using Library services along the way until I find someone to fix it. Also there will not be any photos for a while. (And no spell checker.)
Wildlife - 1 white tail deer and 1 black tailed deer, and no cats dead or alive.

Day 5 July 18 456 miles traveled
Shortly after starting out in the morning we passed a truck with a smashed front fender. We didn't see the moose, but expect that is what he hit. We started getting into the mountains after Ft Nelson. Spectacular views. Stopped at Laird Hot Springs to enjoy the hot bath. Just what the stiff joints needed after a long day in the old truck.
Wildlife - 2 black bears (Al missed one bear because he had his head in the cooler looking for a cool one- a Diet Pepsi) 2 deer, many bison and woodland carabou "on the road" 1 moutain sheep.

Day 6 360 miles traveled
Do you know that there is not a "single" mosquito along the Alaskan Highway. They are all "married" and have very large families. That is what Calafornia Joe told us. Another character that we met several times along the highway. Camped last night in a wide spot along the Highway. (Very cheap rate) We killed at least 1,000 of those mosquitos in the camper and the truck. And we didn't have the doors open for more than a couple of seconds.
We have been sharing the Highway with many motor home caravans. They sometimes have 10 vehicals and usually go 10 MPH slower than you want to go. Fortunatly they pull off to check out the sites quite often. There are also people riding bikes along the Highway. I understand some ride the complete Alaskan Highway.
Wildlife - 4 horses "on the road in the fog" 1 wolf

I am doing the blog at the Whitehorse, Yukon library. The library staff are as nice in the Yukon as they are in Baraboo.Will be heading for Dawson City tomorrow and then to Alaska.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb