Day 13-Thursday, May 25, 2017- Watson Lake, YU to Skagway, AK


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Watson Lake
May 26th 2017
Published: May 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Up at the usual ungodly 5:30 am hour with the sunset at 10:30 PM & sunrise at 4:37 AM temperature 42° and brief shower in the morning, try to work on blog but no Internet. Hit the road at 8 AM for our plant 327 mile day. Pretty boring ride with unending white spruce and lodgepole pine trees along The road, as they are the two principal trees of Yukon Territory with white spruce the most common. At the 55 mile point from Westlake, we hit 13 km of road construction resulting in 25 mph speed. Views of George's and Cassier mountains along the way. We came upon Teslin Lake which straddles the British Colombia and Yukon Territory borders; it is 86 miles long, average is 2 miles across and has an average depth of 194 feet. The name is taken from the Indian name for the lake, Teslintoo I.e. " Long, narrow water".
Stopped at Jake's Corner to fill up on gas before turning toward at Atkin, Tagish and Carcross scenic drive down to Skagway. No propane gas available for Al, he'll have to pick up in Skagway.
Arrived Garden City RV park in Skagway at 4 PM and hooked up for the night. Peggy and Tom lost no time in heading into town to check out downtown Skagway and grab a bite to eat. Al was unable to find a gas station in Skagway to fill up on propane, so he had the delivery truck come to him! It had been a long, tiring and "white knuckle" drive for the last 1 1/2 hrs. down to Skagway through steep mountain passes, so we stayed in for the night.
Miles for day...321
Total ...3379


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb