Just a couple of prairie dogs


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan
July 30th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday

Entered saskatchewan after waking in our motel and having the continental breakfast. First stop, Regina - saw the legislative building, university and cruised the city. Although we liked Regina, we left pretty fast because the intersections confused and scared us especially since most of the traffic lights were not functioning for some reason. After leaving and driving around aimlessly for a while - ended up concluding that the little manitou beach - a healing mineral lake - should be our next stop. We drove up there amid thunderstorm warnings - thinking we may see a famous prairie storm, but dodged the storm and ended up camping in the Regional Park for a reasonable $15 per night. We soaked for a few hours in the Manitou Spa, which is fed from the natural and healing waters of little manitou lake - full of salt and other good minerals that are known for their medicinal properties. The water was very soothing, we got to experience super buoyancy - was an interesting stop but didn't need to spend more time there..

Walked during sunset with Charlie - a local who had lots to tell us about Manitou Beach and hoped that we could be part of the rejuvenation of the town, which was at its hay-day (haha) in the 1930s, but soon fell "dead"... there is so much potential here, we hope Charlie and the folks of Manitou are able to utilize some of it.

That morning, woke and drove to Saskatoon, experienced "boomtown 1910" at the museum of western development (or something like that). We walked around the museum with an 88 year old volunteer Sandy who told us many stories, including the fact that his family was part of the original wave of settlers in 1800 and that he was schooled to grade 8 in a one room rural school house, then worked on the farm before joining the army and serving as a machine gun loader in france. He said he even passed out for 6 hours in a trench somewhere in europe and was lucky that he was one of the ones that made it home. Sandy really liked to talk, and we were glad to listen, but quietly sneaked away when he got distracted by the next young visiter. We then had some lunch and walked around the city, drove through the university campus and hit the two lane highway towards Alberta.

We reached Alberta as the sun began it's decline in the Prairie sky. As we drove through these prairie provinces, we were amazed at the open space, the importance and prevalence of agriculture and the skies - it's true that the skies are living. Anyone who says the prairies are boring - probably never looked up. We really felt mother earth and father sky as chuggs (the car) dutifully motored through the very straight and seemingly endless roads.

Now in the land of cowboys, we have a different feeling altogether. We started our trip along hwy 9 (not one of the major TransCanada highways) and saw little (and I mean little) towns, and some of the badlands this area is famous for. Tomorrow we are looking forward to seeing calgary and head-smashed in buffalo jump...and soon - lake louise.

Oh ya, grain elevators and trains are really cool - we've seen probably hundreds and definitely think the old time elevators are worth preserving, and the prairie railway system is pretty amazing.







Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



30th July 2008

Manitou Lake
Laura, I am so glad to you did get to Manitou Beach and you spent some time in the spa. I have soaked in that spa a number of times and loved it. My son is heading to Watrous this Saturday and will probably swim at the spa a few times while he visits with his grandfather. Sounds like you are both enjoying your trip and discovering many interesting spots. Diana
2nd August 2008

Always look up
Its amazing how there is so much around us that we take for granted unless we have the eyes to see it. You are finding the beauty and the wonder of this huge country...the flat prairies are alive, the culture invigorating (maybe in its own way, but nevertheless....), crops, soil, buildings, people and..the sky. Use all 5 senses and really soak it all in. Lookin' forward to the next entry. Gotta go, I smell the coffee brewing.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb