Baie Mistanoque otherwise know as the middle of Nowhere


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec
July 5th 2013
Published: July 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday was not a good day on the water so we only covered 21 miles and headed for an anchorage. The wind and large 6-8 foot swells were too much for the crew. North Star was laughing at me, she was doing just fine.

We entered a beautiful bay with a perfect anchorage. it was so calm and quiet in there nothing was stirring. We took the dinghy ashore for a walk on the Tundra. It is difficult walking on the lichen, it sinks much like snow. We decided to walk on the shoreline and soon found some mussels so we picked enough for an other feast of these.

We did some boat chores like hand washing. I have not found a laundry mat since Tadoussac, things are becoming critical in that department. Finding food has been no problem, even the beer is plentiful.

It was an early night so we could get away in the morning. This came much earlier than expected when I woke the Captain at 2:30 to inform him that we were hard aground and listing to starboard at an uncomfortable angle of 10 degrees. The wind shifted in the night and turned us into the shallows at low tide. We managed to float free at 6:00 this morning and nothing but our pride is damaged.

We are now in Blanc-Sablon and it looks like we will be able to cross the Strait of Belle Isle tomorrow morning.

We are at the fishing wharf with nothing around but the ferry that takes folks to ST. Barbe, Newfoundland. It is cool as I sit outside to blog. I am wearing my winter coat.

We saw the usual characters of whales, seals, dolphins, Gannets and Mures but we now have cute little Puffins diving when we approach. We saw several Icebergs as expected but they were not too close. I have pictures which will be published later, my hands are frozen.

Enjoy the summer those of you who are experiencing it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb