Eastern Townships


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Sutton
February 4th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The ulcer patchThe ulcer patchThe ulcer patch

I unfortunately had to wear medicinal patches over the ulcers to numb the pain from eating - Jon apparently found this funny as I sometimes looked like either a squirrel storing food or a stroke victim because of the right side of my face!!
Jon and I decided to drive over to the Eastern Townships which are located around an hour and a half East of Montreal. The Eastern Townships are small villages which were originally home to a lot of American loyalists who fled the US after the American War of Independence and settled north of the border. Because of this some parts have remained quite English-speaking.

We got to Knowlton on Lac Brome around 5pm (we watched England lose the 6 Nations before leaving Montreal and then got lost because Jon decided to get a map based on the postcode and not the address...). We then went for a horse sleigh ride in the countryside before heading back to the hotel for a gourmet dinner. The dinner was delicious and we both sampled the local speciality of Canard Brome, which despite me having two huge mouth ulcers which made eating pretty difficult, was very yummy!! After dinner we headed for the Knowlton Pub which by this time was full of 18- and 19-year olds buying double shots for $2 (£1!) and enjoying a cheesy night of dancing in their local pub. We still have no idea where all these people came from because from what we could tell the village itself is mostly populated by retired people or holiday makers. Anyway being the old fogies that we are we stayed for one drink and then left! The next day we checked out the local area and got a free tasting of loads of yummy food from the area before heading back to Montreal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb